Huge Cutout

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Bens-Bees, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Alright, I know I said I'd punt one to you George, but this one I didn't think you'd even want. They had been sprayed with some raid a few days earlier and were behind an asbestos tile wall. Basically, the kind of job anyone in their right mind would pass up. Anyhow, I got into it and the hive was HUGE. I had to stop in the middle of it to get a new box on the bee-vac because I had completely filled one box to the point they couldn't even fit anymore in. Found the queen and got her put into the second box. Now I'm worn out, exhausted, and a bit dehydrated despite drinking 4 large gatorade's during the job.

2. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Oh yeah, and I lost count of how many stings I took... I stopped counting at 25, but took many more.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Thanks for thinking of me but I have been in the hay for the last couple of days and would have had to pass for a couple more days.

No pics?? or is your camera still kaput?

Were the bees OK after being blasted with bug killer?

G3

4. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Ok, glad you didn't miss anything then. Most of the bees were ok... there were a few hundred dead ones in a pile by the entrance but that was it. Far more died in the bee vac.

But that wasn't the worst of it... when I got them home they vacated their new hive and swarmed onto the outside of it... I decided I'd hit the inside with swarm lure to see if I could get them to march back in... no dice... and it was not doing me any favors with the neighbors... one already complained about them. So tonight, 2am I went out to re-hive them before morning... and also prep the rest of the hives to be moved up to an out-yard that has lots of space. I would be lying if I said anything other than that was the least fun I"ve ever had with the bees. They are downright unruly when you disturb them at night. I was out there steppin' and fetchin' in the middle of the night. I would have waited until first light, but I couldn't sleep for worrying about them.

Camera's still kaput... I'll have to buy a new one because this one's completely non-functional. I had it in my front pocket the other day and must have sat wrong because the LCD screen broke, and about a week later the shutter stopped working as well. It'll be christmas at least before I can get another.