Hungry bees

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Brenda, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Brenda

Brenda New Member

I just checked my bees and they have already eaten the dry sugar I left for them a couple weeks ago. It's cool and starting to rain here. The bees were not happy.
    I had to put down a whole new newspaper as the other is completely gone, and dumped a couple pounds of dry sugar on it. This time I put the screened inner cover on so I can dump more sugar through it and not have to expose myself to those cranky bees. :thumbsup:

2. LilWilli

LilWilli New Member

I do hope it works for you. I, myself , have not tried straight sugar. I go with sugar syrup.
    Good luck working the crankiness out of them. That can be a real dud , working crabby bees. I cannot wait for the heat of summer to crank mine up. :wave:

3. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

We took the last really nice day we had and made about 50 lbs of "bee candy" the girls seem to really like it but if they are flying they want syrup too....maybe I'm spoiling them. I think the next time we make the candy for them we'll just put it in frames like this http://www.tonitoni.org/photos17.html not my website, but I like the idea. It would be a little extra work but I think if you made enough to fill a super for hungry bees it might be worth the hassle.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I am uncertain as to the size of hive or the amount of sugar added but here are my comments anyway...

the girls rate of uptake of sugar should be highly effected by the number of bees in the hive and air temperature. just because the sugar disappeared from the top it does not neceassarily mean it was consumed... quite likely it was just moved to another location within the hive. as the weather cools their uptake or moving of sugar should slow down substantially.

sounds like to me you did the appropriate thing... which is to say you checked on the hives condition when the weather allowed and you added a bit of resources.

5. Brenda

Brenda New Member

It's been unusually warm here for Nov. I had only started out with a couple pounds of sugar, so wanted to check it while the weather was not too cold yet. This is a first year hive, started last spring. Last year I put some dry sugar on another hive and they didn't touch it well into January.
    But this year our area has been real short on honey stores due to so much rain. Last year we had plenty going in to fall.
    I was just shocked to see it was "gone" already. I'd be happy if stored it, or consumed it. I'm just hoping they didn't throw it out.

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Brenda, i have some late nuc's(4) that i hived in july and like you to much rain. I'm trying the mountaincamp method also and they went through 4lbs of sugar (each) in a week so i put 15lbs of sugar on each hive and will keep an eye on them, don't know what the out come will be come march but we'll see. Good luck. Jack

7. rast

rast New Member

Brenda, as G3 says "bees are bees and do as they please". I have one hive here at my house that will sock away a quart a day of syrup while the others are taking maybe a 1/4 of a quart. They were also good producers in 08.