Hunter Brush Cut My Wildflowers????

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by riverbee, Aug 9, 2013.

1. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

we have a hunter who has been given exclusive hunting rights to hunt our property for the past 7 years. the trade is to take care of any rogue hunting problems and also help with clearing trees, trails, some mowing of plantings, tilling, fencing, etc. that was the deal. the last 2 years what we have experienced is if it benefits his hunting then it gets done, otherwise we don't see him until hunting comes around.

upon returning from vacation, i received an email from him telling me he was going to put up some trail cameras, needed to move 2 trees out of his hunting trails, and asked if it was okay to mow a grassy field by the river. i don't like speaking by emails so he was left a message on his cell phone that it was not okay to mow anything until we could speak with him last saturday morning. we were in the city for my injections, and returned on saturday. he had already left.

this is what we found; he did remove a tree from a trail, not sure what he did with it, and bulldozed a path (hunting lane) on my neighbors property, of downed trees, pushing them aside in piles, and then brush cut a path.????

MOW????? he brush cut an entire clearing about 1/4 acre or more; a 1/4 acre of what was to be asters and goldenrod, not to mention the crown vetch that was in bloom. in addition, he brush cut a bit of a highway system through a meadow/field to his trail cams, again, cutting down a prolific crown vetch bloom, to be followed by asters and goldenrod......??????

and not to mention the field force of foragers, my honey bees, who didn't get out of the way. these plants, in part, are my honey crop now, and also sustain my bees through winter months.
    the brush cutting was a shave job. the clearing he shaved, as i said, is typically packed with goldenrod.

we will be having a discussion with him this weekend. how would you handle this?

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

He didnt cut enough to harm your honey production, however, he has shown total disrespect to you as a landowner. If it was me he would be gone in a minute. There are others out there that will respect you and your land. Not sure what he's hunting to need that kind of clearance but bulldozing and removing trees wouldnt fly around here.

3. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I believe I'd end his agreement.

4. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Since he hasn't followed the agreement for 2 years, and now he can't be trusted either, seems it is time to part ways.

Walt

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I would give him a list of fence repair and other projects that were a part of the deal. Then tell him they must be done before hunting season or there will be no hunting. That should be sufficient to get him to leave on his own, without any argument. If not, then get your money's worth out of him. Make the list long.

6. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Man I am a hunter but I would NEVER goto that extreme without having the landowner there and get the ok... I'd have to say he should be done hunting there...

7. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

end agreement

8. Lburou

Lburou Member

So, where are the pictures? :)

Seems like what he thinks the agreement is, is different from your take. Communication is everything. You need a 'come to jesus' meeting. :)

9. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Take posession of his trail cameras. He'll be sure to contact you in person soon. :ranting:
    Then you can have a nice "face-to-face" discussion. I suggest you make sure to have Mr. RB be present--in his professional capacity. :rules:

10. G3farms

G3farms New Member

:telephone: Hello Mr. Hunter
    :rules: We got a problem, you need to git!
    :queen: Yes I handled that just like a Lady!!
    :rotfl: See ya boy!!
    :drinks:What a day that was.........SALUTE!!

I agree with Iddee, he has no idea of what really needs to be done on the farm. A list of three years worth of work will get him to leave in short order, but he will think you still owe him the hunting rights for what he has done. I can see the law getting involved in this on opening day. I personally do not put up with them. Only a couple of people hunt on me and they are told explicitly they will call the night before or call me after 9:00 am before entering our farm. Only bow or black powder is allowed since there are too many subdivisions around for high power anymore.

Tell the guy to come out and meet with you (and bring the written agreement), explain to him what he has done and why he is not welcome back. Collect any keys to locked gates and tear up the agreement. Have someone with you for a witness also (you know.....the one who totes the shotgun)!

11. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Your neighbour might want to talk with him as well considering he strayed with his dozer onto their property.

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Great idea, Perry. Turn the hillbillies loose on him and he will never be seen again. :D

13. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I believe we have the makings of a reality show here! :duel:

14. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

i would like to thank each of you for voicing your thoughts and how you would handle this situation. my apologies for the delay in getting back here to reply, so crazy after coming back from vacation. the general consensus by all really in the long and the short is give him the boot.

i wanted to give him the boot, mr. river wanted to give him the list.......so, a combination of both and then some.....

riverrat, naw, he didn't cut enough to harm the honey production, just speaking from the heart. we are in a monoculture of row crops. we have 2 farmers that plant limited portions of our land, maybe 10 acres, and we have requried 50 yard buffers, not planting right to the tree lines. we have worked hard to plant for the bees, etc... in these areas. you are right on about the total disrespect as a landowner and others that would respect us and our desire for our land. the clearing was made beneath a hunting stand and trails to and from it, with a salt lick at one end and some planned feeding in the clearing. bulldozing and removal of trees didn't fly by either of us as well. thank you for your honest comments.

walt, absolutely. hard to trust someone when you have given them complete trust and had that trust taken for granted.

iddee.....okay i am laughing.....you think the way mr river does......scary thought...:lol:
    a long list to be done before hunting season, money's worth, and leaving of his own accord.......the list was given, bow season starts september 14th.......so we shall see!

don, i know you are an avid hunter, thanks!

lee, no pix. communication, absolutely agree. 'come to jesus' meeting.......you bet, we did. the pix i would have to look at here and get fired up all over again!

ef, couldn't take possession of the trail cams, they are locked down. i did want to put duct tape over the lenses......but someone wouldn't let me.......:lol:.....BUT....he has to walk to them to retrieve any memory cards. no use of the 4 wheel.

g, loved your post, you made me laugh right out loud!!! you are right on, no one has any idea what needs to be taken care of on 80 acres, and many folks, because we are on a river, and some great woodlands, think our land is a county park. if we put up a fence, wires are clipped, and posts are kicked, hammered on, bent over or driven over, if we post signs, the signs are beaten, and torn down. about a month ago, two fisherman decided to start a campfire in a dry grassy area, and three others were going to run their dogs....it never ends.

perry, one of the requirement's on the list was for him to call our neighbor and tell him what he did, and clean up the dozer mess of trees........i recommended he get it cleaned up before giving the neighbor a call.......:lol:

we were supposed to meet with our hunter on saturday. seems that meeting didn't quite mesh with his schedule or upcoming schedule (his words) .....oops, one thing to tick me off, but another to ruffle the feathers of the diplomat in the family, and sending emails to me didn't fly....sorry what did you say? so he was given a phone call or two , no answer, but emails sent to me again about his busier upcoming schedule.....oh my, so a second phone call and a revival fire message, .....you know, a fire under the arse type message......like lee said, for a come to jesus sort of thing. on monday morning i just simply said since your schedule is so busy, there will be no hunting until we talk and issues are resolved and taken care of. that message was not ignored and he was very anxious to meet with us on tuesday.....our grievances were aired, and a long list was given, bow hunting starts september 14. he has a month.

he was contrite, no denials, no argument of what has been expected of him. there is no written agreement and really is unnecessary. we are in a forest management program (for 40 acres) and cannot charge any money, he is aware of this, so the deal was and still is, we don't want or need gifts or cash, just good ol fashioned pitching in on the labor. he knows he can be replaced, and knows he is very fortunate to have 80 acres exclusive to hunt. this is unheard of here. replacing him now close to hunting season, is problematic for us for a number of reasons; finding someone as trustworthy (minus the large brain fart), as he has been (for the most part) in the past, will be difficult now. a friendship with he and his wife and daughter, (he is teaching his young daughter to hunt). he has had the respect of adjoining landowners and other hunters that surround us. (his family is well known here). with that said, i still have no problem telling him he cannot hunt after what's been done. he has an opportunity now to redeem himself; going forward, the same. want to keep peace in my household......:grin: but do the right thing, or what's best for us. as i said, he has one month.

any additional thoughts?

15. Iddee

Iddee New Member

As they say in the great land of Florida.... STAND YOUR GROUND

16. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I have a corner lot that was just grass and weeds when I moved in. In spring of 2002 I planted trees on it, a couple of eldarica pines, a couple of oaks, and there are shrubs and a path between the trees. and in fall 2008 a man knocked on my door and asked if he could have the baby pine tree growing under my pines. at least he knocked and asked, the horse people were riding their horses down my trail, everyone pretty much thought it was a public park. When I got bees I privacy fenced the back half and country rail fenced the front and I hung 3 no trespassing signs.

And stand your ground is called the castle law in Texas. Doesn't apply to chasing down hoodlums, but it certainly applies to my property despite I am in city limits. That "do you feel lucky?" comes to mind. I make sure the lot is NOT well lit and has plenty of trip hazards these days, to get to anything valuable anyway., they will need a flashlight, which makes an excellent target for me or the people across the street. (My elderly half blind neighbor couldn't find the shotgun shells her husband had put up, the day someone backed a truck into her yard and 3 people were going to load her spare tires and wheels up, but the people didn't know the gun was empty as they waited for the police.)

Gypsi

17. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

iddee, thanks, and i will do so...not letting this one fly....

18. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I think that RB has shown us men the wisdom of a woman's wise diplomacy.
    Good going Riverbee. Hel'll make ammends for his errors thanks to your womanly way of handling his mess.:thumbsup:

19. Lburou

Lburou Member

RB, it sounds like you and your partner make a pretty good 'tag team' :)

20. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

i am really not the diplomat ef, i wanted to give the guy the boot and my husband wanted to give him a chance to redeem himself. i ruffle feathers and rock the boat, he doesn't. i am the one sometimes with the rough edges, and he's the sandpaper......:lol: .....and yes lee, we do pretty well at being a tag team .... :grin: