Hurricane preparedness (sp?)

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Eddy Honey, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

We're not used to hurricanes here in Jersey. I have all my hives ratchet strapped to a pallet. What else should I do? They are forcasting 75-100 mph wind gusts. I have plenty of room in my pole barn for the hives but will I do more harm than good in moving them from their location? Should I confine them to their hive if I move them until the storm is over?

2. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

We haven't been here for a "direct hit" but we have seen a few tropical storms and 1 hurricane (that was before we had bees). We are driving rebar about 4 feet or so deep and ratchet straps to the rebar over the hive tops. I don't know how well this will work for bees, but it held our goat shed down in a fair sized tropical storm.

I don't know how much of this storm y'all in NJ are going to see, but it looks like we will see quite a bit of the western side of it here in the NC sandhills. I hope you and your hives don't suffer any damages.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Eddy writes:
    I have all my hives ratchet strapped to a pallet. What else should I do?

tecumseh:
    sounds like you got things well in hand. on most occasions rising water is a larger concern than the wind. personally I would vote against moving unless the site was low and the move was to higher ground.

4. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Theres a post here, posted earlier tonight by Iddee titled "Bees and Irene on the east coast."