hurry up drones!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Mama Beek, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Our bees look so good that we are antsy to start splitting some of the hives. We looked high and low for drones in hopes of finding enough to do the job. No such luck... and I knew it but had to look anyway. {sigh}... so does anyone want to guess on about how much longer we will be waiting and stalking the hives while sweetly asking the queens to get those boys going??

2. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Another month and a week would be my guess. Maybe as much as a month and three weeks.

3. L00ker123

L00ker123 New Member

Is mama beek my friend in Harnett county?

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

according to Larry Conner you can start queen cells when the drones are in the purple eyed pupae stage... so you don't actually need to see live drones.

for myself.... it has been a good idea to take notes on such events as the earliest bloom and the earliest drones. this helps keeps me prepared for kicking off such events as queen rearing and supering.

5. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

yup Looker, that would be me :)

Thanks Tec, as usual you have great ideas that I somehow manage to overlook. I will have to start keeping a better calendar to help me figure out things like this a little easier.

Bens-Bees... really that long? I would have thought that we would have at least a decent drone count by the middle of next month considering how long our maple bloom has already been on.

We have a tiny bit of drone brood that's capped in one hive but I would rather wait until there is enough of a drone population to ensure that the queens are well mated... saves me from requeening later on that way (i hope).

6. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

well, it all depends on the weather... it's still February, which means we're likely to have the weather go back to below freezing for a couple of weeks. That'll put a stop to any blooms and halt any drone rearing. On the other hand, maybe we won't dip back into freezing, the 10-day forecast has us in the 50's and 60's for highs and the lowest low is only 36... so who knows, maybe spring's already here and the calendar just hasn't caught up yet. Unfortunately for you however, I did the one thing that guarantees another freeze... I started planting seeds for spring. So... sorry about that.

7. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

planting seeds is a no-no?... oh boy am I in trouble then! :doh:

8. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Well not in general, but when I plant seeds, it almost guarantees a hard freeze just in time to kill all my seedlings... then when I replant, the same thing happens... then when I replant again, well, same thing again... it goes on until the 5th set of seeds I plant. I did start a week later than I normally do with the plantings though, so maybe this year it'll only kill 3 sets of seedlings... but probably not... I swear we'd have a hard freeze in July if I waited until then to plant.

9. larry tate

larry tate New Member

Saw a drone frame full of eggs yesterday

10. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

that's great news to me Larry...thank you. I'm guessing it wont' be too long at all, it's just so hard to be patient!

Bens-Bees, I know what you mean. I rush the garden every year and almost always end up replanting a small portion of it, I sure don't want to get into that kind of jam with the bees though.

We'll look again this week or next and see what our drone population looks like then.

11. L00ker123

L00ker123 New Member

Mamabeek,

Next time I am about to go into the boxes do you think I could borrow one of your experts to come show me exactly what I am looking for? I will make it worth their time for sure. I will also come get them and bring them back. It probably won't be until next month. Please let me know.

Michael

12. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

I'm sure the kids would love to come and give a hand. They will be gone all of next week, but you should have no trouble getting any or all of them with no more than a phone call. You might want to do this sooner than next month though....just give a call and we'll do our best to help.

MB

13. L00ker123

L00ker123 New Member

I am about to go out of town for a few days but will be back. How about 5 July?