Hypocracy?

Discussion in 'Bee News' started by PerryBee, Mar 31, 2013.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21958547

The one thing that struck me as ironic, is the chemical company's demands that studies on this problem be complete and thorough, unlike the free pass they seem to have been given by the EPA!
    Neonics and coumaphous, who knew?

2. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

does seem to be something backward there. They don't have to have complete studies to prove the stuff safe, just to prove it dangerous.

3. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

I like the last statment by Dr Julian Little. Why do you think they are looking into these cemicals in the first place. Hasn't he ever heard of Colony Collapse Disorder. Pretty much started after these chemicals were approved.

4. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

from the end of the article....
    "What is really important is seeing what happens in real situations - in real fields, in real bee colonies, in real bee hives, with real bee keepers."

i'm willing to bet for anyone of us.....have your comb tested. might surprise you what is in there from insecticides, pesticides, gmo, and treatment for varroa.....no wonder our bees are dying.

5. Gypsi

trouble is there are 2 groups of beekeepers. Some of the commercials say they are not having a problem with neonics.

I have a simple philosophy. I am pretty organic, not perfectly organic, and I'm not hiring my hives out for pollination near neonics or pesticide or roundup spray, if I ever hire them out at all.

6. Ray

Ray Member

Snips from the article:
    To investigate, scientists looked at two common pesticides: neonicotinoids, which are used to control pests on oil seed rape and other crops, and a group of organophosphate chemicals called coumaphos, which are used to kill the Varroa mite, a parasite that attacks the honey bee.
    and
    "And if we used them together, the effect was additive, so they added to the toxicity: the effect was greater when both were present."

I am not siding with Bayer on this!
    Are we beekeepers are partially responsible?
    If we use coumaphos in our hives. Who is responsible for killing our bees?

7. Gypsi

Since there is only one plowed field within flight range of my bees, I'm not in the test zone. But I also don't treat, unless you count powdered sugar and brood breaks.

anyone live closer to corn or soy have any comment?

8. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"anyone live closer to corn or soy have any comment?"

yeah i do gypsi.....my hives are smack dab in the heart of corn and soybeans. two farmers rent some of my land for corn. i'd rather see soybeans, but money is better for corn right now. this year i am going to find out what they are using. one of the farmers was spraying with roundup one year, i didn't know about it, i about flipped.

9. Gypsi

any increase in winter losses?