I am looking for certified organic bee venom.

Discussion in 'Organic Beekeeping' started by RachelHaygoodNC, Apr 25, 2012.

1. RachelHaygoodNC

RachelHaygoodNC New Member

I am looking for certified organic bee venom.

Anyone know of any certified sources?

Thank you

2. Omie

Omie New Member

I would think it would be hard to check on whether any particular brand is really 'organic' or not. You'd have to do some checking, for sure. Be extra wary of imported products. I've seen 'royal jelly' sold in my health food store, really expensive. But it's from China, and frankly i wouldn't trust it. I'd be inclined to try to find a U.S. source that you could actually check on.

3. RachelHaygoodNC

Good advice.

You are absolutely right about imported products and China. I wouldn't touch anything from China-not even a plastic bottle.

I am sure this is few and far between but maybe I will come across a certified organic supplier in the US or better yet, in the local area.

Thanks

4. Omie

Omie New Member

Are you actually referring to Apis? or Apis Mellifica? such as sold in health food stores in pill form? Sometimes sold as homeopathic. 'Apis' contains bee venom and is sold basically because of the bee venom it contains. It is prepared from a solution of whole pulverized/blended bees, then made into tincture or pill form. Most commercially available Apis does seem to come from China or Asia. It'd be interesting to see if anyone actually makes it here in the US.

5. RachelHaygoodNC

Just bee venom.

As there are very few organic honey lines due to the regulations that go into organic bee keeping this may prove arduous.

I have not heard of apis. That is very strange (and interesting)!

6. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Rather than searching for someone that's certified organic, you might just try to find someone that goes chemical free. The trouble with organic certs is that they can still use certain pesticides and whatnot and that just kinda defeats the point for the consumer.

I for example don't use any chemicals in my beekeeping; of course I don't sell bees for apitherapy, but I'm sure there are many other beekeepers that do sell bees for apitherapy that also go chem-free. I would trust that over a certification any day.

Better yet, start your own hive and go chem free to provide your own bees for apitherapy.

7. RachelHaygoodNC

Thankyou, Bens-Bees.

Why are chemicals used with organic bees? That does not make any sense.

What kinds of chemicals are they allowed to use?

8. RachelHaygoodNC

Well, I am interested in any bee venom as long as it is not imported.

It will be for personal use-I am new to bee venom and am eager to see it.

Thanks

9. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Oxalic acid or menthol. Basically the USDA allows for the use of any naturally occuring chemical in certified organic farming. If you think about what that entails, that includes most pesticides that are made from crysanthemums as well. That's why it's better to just find someone that's committed to not using pesticides at all rather than someone that's just interrested in getting the certification.

10. Omie

Omie New Member

I agree with Ben. For example, a BK near me brags about his bees being "Totally Organic" yet he uses Mite Away 'organic' formic acid on them twice a year to kill mites. (he's not certified organic, either). Meanwhile, I use nothing on my bees but I don't go around calling them 'organic' because I think it's a misleading term when dealing with bees. As ben suggests, far better to find a beekeeper who really does not treat at all, and maybe look into apitherapy or figure out how to collect some stinger pouches with venom.

11. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Oh that's easy, just help me move my bees after dark on a rainy night sometime, you'll have all you want to pick out of my hide... :lol:

12. RachelHaygoodNC

Yes, "natural" really doesn't mean much, does it?

MSG is natural and it kills people slowly.

You have both been very helpful.

Technically, everything is natural. Just depends on how "natural" we are talking about.

13. RachelHaygoodNC

14. Omie

Omie New Member

If you move bees on dark rainy nights, you deserve everything you get. lol! ;D

15. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

great post, my sentiment's, don't need to embellish.:thumbsup:

16. mellifera

mellifera New Member

Hi all, If you are looking for the best quality, fresh, well dried bee venom powder with a high activity of all component, contact with New Techniques laboratory Ltd. It is leading company manufacturing the best quality bee venom in the world market. They have very competitive price and excellent service. If you in the Google search engine type " bee venom" , you will find this company on the first page, with the headline " New Techniques Laboratory Ltd - bee venom & other bee products".
    Chinese bee venom is really very low quality, not because of they do not know how to harvest, but the race of bee venom and flora in China don't give them possibility of manufacturing high quality bee venom.