I am totally BAFFLED!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by barry42001, Jun 3, 2012.

1. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Last October, I started a unsucessful trap-out. The major problem is and was, that I could NEVER find the actual entrance. The bees when presented with a cone--ohh they came out through the cone, but found a myrad of cracks, crevices, hell for all I know they were using worm holes in the Pine. Center of the tree is rotted , some areas very dry rotted, other areas hard as concrete--like chainsaw resistant. I drilled through the outside, actually into the cavity, expecting the bees to come through the new 1 1/4" hole, but to my suprise not only no bees, vacant cavity atleast there??????? I went around to where the entrance is somewhere and drilled from there, knocking out chunks of decayed wood, entered yet another cavity, could actually see through the tree from front to back, and to the new hole I drilled--still no bees. I am quite frustrated, and just can't find a suitable solution. The properity owner had said that the tree will be cut down before the end of the summer, and if I haven't removed the bees by then he will have them exterminated--which he really don't want to see. The bait hive, now is a double brood chamber hive which I will be moving out, in a few weeks. It was a single frame of brood, and a queen I purchased for that event, fiiguring if the bees can't get back to their own colony, they would adopt mine-- Feral Honeybees.jpg front.jpg Bee Tree.jpg not so much

Attached Files:

2. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I feel your pain on failed trap outs.....I set out a nuc today on a chimney just to see if I would be luck enough to lure them in...

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I would get a bucket of drywall mud and plaster the whole trunk other than where the cone is.