I can't find an answer to this question.

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by alleyyooper, May 20, 2012.

1. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

I can't find an answer to this question? What is drawing bees to cintrella lamps?

Friday the 18Th.
    A lady calls the cell as we are sitting waiting for them to clear a tree they fell in the road and were cutting it up where it fell instead of pushing it in the ditch to cut up.
    She is down the road on the back side of a lake and has a bunch of bees all over her deck. Since I'm close by and they had just cleared the last of the tree I told her we would come see what she had going on since it didn't sound like a swarm.

Those bees were all over her citnella lamps. I told her to wait till dark then bag the lamps and put in the grarge till they were going to have a evening party and skeeters might be a problem. Got to call her latter and see if the bees are back this morning.

Saturday the 19th.
    Lady called me before I had a chance to call her. she said the bees didn't leave during the evening. they stayed clusterd on one of the lamps all night.
    I offered to go down there and shake the bees off and store the lamps for her.
    she asked if she could do some thing to draw the bees away. I told her to set out some syrup 1:1 in a bowl away from the deck and put some floaties in the bowl too.

Going to call her today and see if they left yesterday.
    What is drawing them to the citnella lamps?

:D Al

2. jb63

jb63 New Member

Does the lamp contain lemon grass oil?

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Are they going to just one or several of them?

Could it be a small after swarm?

Glad to see ya back, hope you will hang around awhile!

4. Omie

Omie New Member

It's the lemon oil scent that's added to the citronalla lamp oil or candle....bees love lemon oil. :smile:

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Sounds llike a swarm that decided, for whatever reason, to settle on the lamp. Give it an empty nucleus hive and encourage them to move in. When they march in you 'll probably spot the queen.

6. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Don't know the answer, but I'm darn glad to see your post.

Walt

7. riverrat

riverrat New Member

dont have an answer for ya.But wanted to say glad to see you back your experience is always welcome here.:thumbsup:

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

DITTO the 3 or 4 above. VERY glad to see you posting.

I don't know, but will pick up a few when I go back to the lake and see if it can be repeated here. If so, it's something in the lamp. If not, it's probably an afterswarm. I'll try to get down there tomorrow.

9. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Good to hear from you Alleyyooper:thumbsup: i don't have an answer either? How's the deer population? Jack

10. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Not an after swarm only 25 to 30 bees on each of the two lamps on that level. I pushed them around with my fingers looking to see if perhaps a queen was in the mass on ethier lamp and didn't see one.
    Probably right about lemon grass oil, I don't use them so don't know whats in the oil.

I'm not back to stay. Don't like getting dissed and them my thread being deleted due to some one else. Still say the delete should have been the pot stirer and I'm sticking to that.

Just as a last resort figured I might find the answer here.
    Thanks for the answers.

11. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Alleyyooper, I'm a newbee on the forum relative to you and I don't know what you're referring to in your boldface font comment. Allow me a point for consideration: a good policy is forget and forgive. We all could benefit from your participation. :roll:

12. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Brooksbeefarm. Forgot to answer your question. The deer herd is booming. They split up into singles and some times a double a couple of weeks ago to have their fawns. I figure they have now had them and hide them during the day. Saw a herd of 10 Friday morning while walking my dogs in the woods. This morning there were 11 in the bunch.

Thanks for the answers.

13. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The pot stirer was deleted and hasn't been seen since. Everybody took your side. I did all I knew to keep you here. I'm not perfect, so if we have to be perfect to keep you, then I guess I lose. If you decide to accept us as humans that make mistakes now and then, then come on back.

14. Charles

Charles New Member

Wise words from a wise man :thumbsup:

I have to agree, we've made a few mistakes since starting this forum and lost a couple of very helpful excellent members because of it. I guess it's part of the learning curve. Don't beat yourself up Iddee, I think we do a pretty good job of keeping the forum clean and retaliation free.

Good to hear from you alleyyooper, hope all is well. Stop by and say Hi when you can :) Oh and I'm with Omie, the lemon oil is probably it...

15. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Well.................................................................I don't know about anyone else.....................................................But I love it here!
    :yahoo: :Dancing: :clapping: :thumbsup: :drinks:

16. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I picked up a citronella candle at the cabin last night. I plan to light it for a while in the bee yard today, then let it sit unlit for the day and see if the bees come to it. I'll post the results this afternoon.

17. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I lit the candle in the bee yard today 20 feet from 4 hives and a strong nuc. Let it burn 30 minutes, until it had a good puddle of liquid wax. No bees around it during the burn nor for 3 hours afterward.

The only difference might be that mine were vanilla and hers may be lemon or something.

Not proof, just a trial.

18. Omie

Omie New Member

I just bought several lemony citronella candles today, for a campout coming up. maybe I'll catch a swarm in my tent! :shock:

19. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

That could be a serious OUCH... Unless of course you happen to carry a suit and tools and a nuc box.... :smile:

I have an old citronella candle on my porch. I could take the lid off and see if any bees visit it.