I captured my first swarm... But

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by kemptville, Jun 16, 2013.

1. kemptville

kemptville New Member

I captured my first swarm yesterday - woohoo!

But I was told on two separate occasions from local beekeepers that I should assume any swarm of unknown origins to be infected with foul brood as a precaution and to treat it as such by not hiving it in my bee yard to avoid disaster.

How true is this statement? To me it makes perfect sense - why introduce a swarm I know little about into a healthy bee yard? What are the odds that swarms are infected? Do colonies with foul brood often get strong enough to swarm?

I'm curious :)

Marc

2. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Local beeks are a very important resource for information about what to expect in your area. First I would check with them to find out if the presence of foulbrood in the area is known to them or just assumed. If foul brood is a known local problem, then, by all means, take precautions not to introduce it into your apiary. In such a situation I would recommend giving the swarms a treatment with antibiotics before they have started to build their new combs. If, however, there have not been reports of brood disease in the area, I wouldn't get nervous about the issue and would let them set up house without any need to place them at a distance from your apiary.

3. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Check with the ministry of agriculture and food, I just did a very quick search and the latest inspections I could find were from 2011. Maybe a little further research would produce better results. Their homepage is www.omafra.gov.on.ca.