I DID IT! My first real cutout!

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Indiana Dave, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

I got an email last fall from a guy who had bees in the walls of his house. Last Friday, I loaded up my bee-vac and all my gear and headed over to do my first cutout job. The home owner was a retired gentleman, VERY nice and wanted to know if he could watch the process. I encouraged him to do so but at a short distance. He stayed for the whole cutout, offering drinks, snacks and his house if I needed a break. He said that the neighbor told him the bees had chased her daughters when they played near the hive. He didn't want them killed but thought they should be removed.
    The bees were going in between the brick wall and the overlapping wooden facia board above the wall.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    When I removed the boards, they appeared to be in the small space between the sheathing and brick.
    [​IMG]
    Got the bee-vac out and put it to work. I had to adjust the suction a couple of times due to the 1.5 inch hose filling up with bees. At one point I had to unplug the hose from the vac and shake the bees out of the hose. I thought they would be stuck in the hose... a dead, sticky mess, but when I shook them out, they crawled around on the ground and then flew back up to the hive to be sucked up again. Alternated back and forth between cutting comb and sucking up bees. Ended up getting 6 frames of brood and 2 deeps full of bees and less than 50 dead bees!
    When I finished cutting out most of the comb, I noticed that they had gotten in between the brick and the interior wall behind the bathroom tile (hole in the middle of the wall in picture) and built comb.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There was no way I could get to them, other than reaching down between the brick wall with my hands or cutting the tile wall out from the inside of the house (which I was NOT going to do). There was no way I was gonna stick my bee-vac hose down there to suck up a big gob of sticky goo either. At this point, I had sucked up almost 2 deeps worth of bees and had gotten all that I could possibly get without tearing this guy's house apart. I blindly pulled out as much comb as I could between the brick and the bathroom tile with my hands. Fortunately, there wasn't much comb behind the wall.
    At his request, when I had sucked up all the bees that I could, I sealed up the hole in the sheathing between the brick and the tile with Great Stuff minimum expansion foam, and put the facia boards back up.
    [​IMG]
    I ended up caulking where the facia boards overlap the brick wall (not pictured) in hopes that it will keep more bees from building in the future. When the homeowner asked me how much he owed me, I told him that I only wanted a little gas money for the drive. He gave me $150 and a Pepsi for the ride home. And I made a friend!
    Unfortunately, I didn't get the queen. But today I found out that my Buckfast queen from R Weaver shipped out this afternoon. I think I have just the hive for her :)

2. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

Good show :drinks:. Maybe be we should do a friendly competition on which states / areas get the most cut outs / swarms. Not totally scientific but maybe an idea of where the members of this forum are getting the most bees from.:dontknow:

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Looks like you did a good job! I would not count on not having the queen, I have vac up many of them and never saw her. Give them a week to settle down and get going again then look for eggs. Putting your new queen in the hive might get her balled pretty quick.

I know of two good ol'boys from Tennessee that are in :lol:

4. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I never saw the queen in my first cutout, still haven't seen her, but those bees started nasaroving as soon as the hive was set up at my house, which means the lady is in the house!

And thank you for your pic. Looks just like the arrangement I've been trying to trap bees out of. I've told the homeowner if she can get a contractor with proper equipment to pull the siding, I'll cut the bees out. If they have done what yours did, it won't be that bad. For now, I hope to get a frame of brood for the trap on Wednesday.

Gypsi

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Well Done Dave! :thumbsup: You left the site in a very clean state, the owner should be happy, clearly he was, $150 and a pepsi, (maybe it could have been a coke, but hey).

As for: "Maybe we should do a friendly competition on which states / areas get the most cut outs / swarms." :shock:
    Now that's just rubbing salt in an open wound, we haven't even started thinking about mowing lawns up here yet, the only thing blooming is crocus and daffodil and you guys are posting swarms and cut-out pictures! Nice! :lol:

6. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Nice job Dave! Whoot whoot, let's hear it for a fellow Hoosier! Ha! I have a 78 year old neighbor that is mannered like the old man you described..He is a very generous fella and I will miss the literal "fence line" conversations with him as he is in declining health. Ironically, he approached me yesterday while I was painting some hives and handed me a 2 liter of root beer and a key to his truck, said use it anytime. I sold my truck and haven't found another one yet with mulch and compost chores looming.

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Those are the kind of folks that are neighbors, not just the people next door! I like them already.

8. JPthebeeman

JPthebeeman New Member

Great job on your removal. Down here we call that board and batten construction, very difficult to keep bees out of, tons of gaps!

...JP

9. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

Ok Perry do we need to give you a Senior / Tundra handicap:rolling:

10. jim314

jim314 New Member

Looks like you did a great job, congratulations :smile:

11. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Senior? :ranting: :club:
    The roof might have a little snow on it but there's still plenty of coal in the stove. Check my profile. :rules:
    Young'uns these days........
    :lol:

12. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Wow! Great pics! Just goes to show that the bees will build horizontal or vertical. I think I counted 15 combs wide.

13. jmblakeney

jmblakeney New Member

It looks like you have done an awesome job on that cutout. Congrats.

14. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Great Job... How long did it take you from start to finish...

15. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

It is stated right under your name [​IMG] PerryBee
    [​IMG] Senior Member:confused::eek:ldtimer: Ok so I do I look at someones profile?

16. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Click on that persons name and then their profile page comes up, then click "about me", and the things that some folks don't mind sharing (like age) become available. Always be careful what you put on the net. :wink: Me. I'm just so handsome I figure most people think I'm maybe 130 or so! :rolling:

17. Iddee

Iddee New Member

What happened to the original topic?

18. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Sorry, :oops:, Got a little OFF TOPIC.

19. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

Topic? Oh yeahhh, topic...

Dave, that looks like a great job you did(in my newbee's eyes)!!! That was a pretty good size hive and how big is that entrance...3/4" maybe? How big was the comb depth-wise?....it looks like they would've fit some medium frames nicely.

What kind of bee-vac are you using? Sound like you did pretty good in regards to bee mortality.

Did you put the bees on foundation or drawn comb? Are you feeding them?

As has been already mentioned, you might want to wait on adding another queen...that's a lot of bees to find a queen in!!!

Best wishes for this colony and congrats on a great job!
    Ed

P.S. Do you think PerryBee looks 130???

20. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

From start to finish...about 5 hours. But keep in mind this was my first cutout, I had to readjust the beevac suction several times, and empty the hose of clogged bees once.
    Thanks for all the kind words, folks. I was a fun experience and I can't wait to do another.