Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the split I made on June 27 when everyone was out of town has resulted in two queens for sure. The jury is still out on the other two. I pulled the queen into a nuc and made up three more with the remaing frames and they had made queen cells with. So the results are 50-50. Which is alright since I will combine if they don't show within the week. Either way the russian hive mutts that are lagging will get a renovation soon.

Should I give the two queenless nucs until next weekend and then combine if no queen? Should I put the new Nucs with laying queen in their own hive for a while and feed and observe?

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
a snip....
Should I give the two queenless nucs until next weekend and then combine if no queen? Should I put the new Nucs with laying queen in their own hive for a while and feed and observe?

tecusmeh:
to your first question... after about 30 days if you do not have a laying queen then I would combine or add the frames to something else (individually). I myself may fail in getting a queen into a box but I don't like loosing the comb and frames to wax moth or small hive beetles.

to your second question.... for almost anything that is a nuc or has some purpose in queen rearing I do feed at least a little and try to keep them in a box appropriate for their numbers. you do want them to grow as much as possible but too much space can be just as much a problem as too little space. if you are very dry then I would feed an almost constant dribble of syrup until they have some heft (quantity of syrup depends primarily on existing stores and the size of the nuc).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts