I had to be the bad guy tonight

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Eddy Honey, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Yesterday morning a dog wandered onto the property. My wife knows dog breeds and easily determined that it was a Dogue de Bordeaux (rememberthe movie Turner and Hooch?). No collar or tags and no micro chip. We checked with animal rescue and no one has reported her missing. We checked with all area vets and no one has one that fits the description. I find it odd that such an expensive dog goes missing and no one is looking for her. She's also housebroke. She's about 1-1/2 to 2 years old and seemed to be such a sweetie. We gave her a nice warm home for a couple of days, a warm bath, food and affection while we searched for the rightful owner. No luck. The whole time the kids (10 & 7) are begging me to keep her. Well...tonight I had to be the bad guy and announce to the children that the new found Dogue de Bordeaux cannot stay. Tomorrow morning she'll go to a Dogue de Bordeaux rescue. She was, in my eyes overly protective of whomever she was near. When one of my GSD's would approach she would snap and growl at the approaching dog if they got too close. I just couldn't have that around my kids....The kids are broken-hearted and I am for them....:sad:

Attached Files:

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

You did the right thing!!

An over protective strange dog is bad news, the kids will get over it.

3. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

I hate it for your kids but you are doing what is best.An unpredictable dog is not a good thing....:wink:

4. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

Hey, that's a better ending than it could've been. Good move on your part, for your family and the dog! :thumbsup:

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

housebroke to me means she does have owners. imo...a pound or dog rescue is likely the best way for her to find her way back home.

almost any dog I have known is somewhat protective of 'their resources'. there is a degree of things here that is really the issue as far as I am concerned.

6. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood Member

I applaud your decision to turn her over to the dog rescue. They will find the right home for the dog, or maybe even it's rightful owners. No doubt they will have the dog micro chipped in case of future mishaps.

It almost makes you wonder if the dog was dumped in your neighborhood. I grew up in the country, and there was no shortage of dogs released to fend for themselves. That's a terrible thing to do to a dog aka man's best friend (sometimes).

7. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

We think she was dumped. We could tell that she had pups not that long ago. It appears they wre weaned as she was dried up but still hanging low. She may have been used as a brood mare and then dumped while the owners sold the pups....IDK. She's still up for adoption last I heard.

8. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

For what it's worth, I think you did the right thing.

9. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Maybe her posessiveness is why the original owners sent her away? Not nice, but an explanation.:think:

10. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

Warning...ANGRY RANT!!!! :ranting:

We live in a rural area but along a major state highway. I've basically lived here all my 50+ years. Through those years we've seen many animals "thrown out". Stupid people tend to think that they're doing the "right" thing in throwing them out close to someone's house so "maybe they'll feed them". The other group of stupid people throw the animals out at bridges so "they'll have water".

There's been many dogs that showed up at our house that you could tell were somebody's pets but that had social issues. Maybe the dog was overprotective of it's owner, or it was too possessive of it's food, or it dragged all the patio cushions to the front yard and shredded them, or it barked 24 hours a day, or.... In other words the "owners" decided they didn't want to deal with the animal so they ditched them.

Other animals are "dropped off" simply because the owner is tired of them....good animals, just the novelty of the dog has worn off the "owners" and they don't want the expense and bother of the animal anymore.

Many times the animals have health issues when they get to our house...many are mangy, many are starved. Some people will call me inhumane or insensitive but most of these animals I put down. We don't have "animal control" that we can call and I can't afford to keep them and spend the money on vet care that they would need to survive. I could run them off and let them continue their slow painful deaths with little to eat except the occasional field mouse (maybe) but I feel the sensitive and humane to do is put them down and end their misery.

The insensitive and inhumane people on the other hand are the lowlife inbred scumbags that throw their pets out beside the road to start with. I have zero respect nor use for people that do this as I've seen too many animals starving from being "dropped off". It's not the animals' fault...it's the humans' fault. I would call these types of people exactly what they are but I'd probably be banned from the forum with the language it would require.

Ok, for the "oh, but you could rehabilitate them" group go ahead and flame away at me for my actions...I could not care less. If you happen to be a person guilty of "dropping off" an animal then refer to the above paragraph to see my opinion of you...you have no excuses. BTW, there are four dogs on my place now that I feed and pay vet bills for...all strays or "throw-aways".

Sorry to spout off....well, not really...this subject just TICKS ME OFF!!!! :ranting:

EH, you did a good thing. You did what the "owner" should have done. Or...maybe the dog is a "lost" dog and it's owners will retrieve it...we can hope so. :)

Ed

11. rast

rast New Member

Intheswamp, I couldn't agree more. I've got a weimaraner here now that somebody dumped out here. I didn't want it, but 75% good dog and getting better. I wound up getting its shot's and feeding it. The @/#%* scumbags won.

12. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Agree wholeheartedly!
    A pet is a responsibility and anyone dumping one is clearly not!