I harvested honey!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by DLMKA, Jun 16, 2012.

1. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

Just one deep frame from a brood box that was completely capped. They got a super today since it looks like they're backfilling brood box, no swarm cells yet...

2. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

If it's like my first frame, it'll be the best honey you've ever had! When I pulled my first frame I didn't have an extractor yet, so I did the "crush and strain". There's some good videos on youtube that shows how to do that. But it's not hard. You just scrape the comb off the frame into a strainer or collender then into a bowl. Just be sure and clean up the kitchen!

3. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

It was foundationless so I just cut it all out and crushed half. The other half is cut comb and oh so beautiful.

4. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

If your looking for comb honey, you should consider using the thin foundation, made specially for that, otherwise the heavier, thicker foundation will be alittle unpleasant chewing.
    Barry

5. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I made cornbread in the camp dutch oven to go with some pork chops for dinner last night. I needed SOMETHING to put honey on, cornbread works well for that.

6. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Honey is also good on a spoon! Sometimes anything else just dilutes the taste! :)

7. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I've eaten more than my fair share off a spoon our out of the comb. I need to post some pics of the jars. It was really light color. This is the first swarm I caught and it's going leaps and bounds faster than any of the bees I actually paid money for.

8. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

Oh yeah, I replaced the sugar in the cornbread recipe with honey.

9. kebee

kebee Active Member

Sugar in cornbread, sorry never heard of that before, don't think I would like that.

kebee

10. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

the Mrs just followed the recipe on the can of cornmeal. Too much like cake for my tastes.

Attached Files:

11. kebee

kebee Active Member

I am planning on taking a little honey this weekend from my strong hive, so it will be crush and strain method, do you strain with the course strainer and than the find strainer. This is what I am planning to do if wrong please let me know. Thanks

kebee

12. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

That will work well Kebee. You may want to put some damp cheesecloth over your strainers, makes clean up a lot easier.
    That is some light colored honey DLMKA, very nice! :thumbsup:

13. 100 TD

100 TD New Member

Crush and strain, coarse, then finer sieve is what I do, and the honey is perfect!

14. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

No need to worry about the kitchen...I heard the wives feel privledged to take care of that after a good honey harvest.....(helmet & flame suit on)....lol :razz:

15. Omie

Omie New Member

DLMKA- Even though your comb honey sections are foundationless, you won't want to be making comb honey from any comb that has been used to raise brood in. You said you hijacked the capped honey frame from a busy brood box. Hopefully it was brand new comb that had not been used for brood rearing. I'd guess that few people would want to be chewing on comb that has old bee cocoon layers in it... eeew! ;)

16. Omie

Omie New Member

Yeah you are going to need that helmet. lol

17. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Nice looking honey..I like light colored and mild. And, sweet cornbread is the only to fly...I mix a box of Jiffy yellow cake mix with a box of Jiffy cornbread mix and bake...yum yum yum with bean soup! But, need to wait until winter to get too excited. By the way, that recipe is pretty much how Boston Market makes their cornbread if you ever thought their's was tasty...

18. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

It was brand new comb and on the edge of a brood box, I don't ever remember any brood in that frame.

I threw on 4 supers on 4 hives today, need some rain though.

19. bamabww

bamabww New Member

My grandmother always put sugar in her cornbread and I do the same. And DLMKA, you'll find honey tastes good on anything, even cheerios and corn flakes. Congrats on your first honey harvest. Very good picture as well. Thanks.

20. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I couldn't find the maple syrup to go on pancakes the other morning so I put honey on them, delicious! The rest of the family wasn't ready to give up maple syrup so I ate a LOT of pancakes and honey.