I have leafcutter bees?

Discussion in 'Mason & other alternative bees' started by Gypsi, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

My first leafcutter bee "packet" appeared in the curl of a swiss chard leaf. It is now in a little net baggie hanging underneath a sonic cup, under the oak tree the swiss chard was growing under. Needed an ant and birdproof location, no perch for a bird... I have just ordered a nesting block for the leaf cutters with a little chalet, from crownbees... Hope to keep these going. I had seen the adults in the wildflowers but this is my first nest.

2. vermillion

vermillion New Member

I left a pair of leather garden gloves unattended and found they had taken up residence in two fingers....:razz:

3. Gypsi

I have a block and chalet on order that should be here any day. Hopefully this won't be my only cocoon.

4. Gypsi

caught a lady leafcutter checking out the hollow latch on my gate.
    we had enough traffic going through maybe she won't nest there. I got inspired and gave her an old leather glove propped open with a piece of pvc.

Today my nesting block and beehouse came. Not sure if I should paint the house. I sure still have leafcutters looking for nests, so maybe just put it on out there. Suggestions?