I have no Luck with Suppliers.

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Medic1259, May 14, 2012.

1. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Well I have had some BAD luck with suppliers this year so I will tell you who I ordered from , Who did me wrong, and who did ok by me..

So my first ANYTHING bee related I ordered 2 Hive setups from www.BeeBabys.com WORST and WOULD NEVER USE OR RECOMMEND to be used.

This was the story.

First week of April 2012 I order 2 complete hive setups and pay $220.. Mid March (4 weeks) I haven’t heard from or received anything I try to call, I get a pre recorded message that the Voice mail is full. So I email. The first one from the website no answer, the second one from Pay-Pal. Also no answer, so I called about 25 more times over the next 2 days. I finally opened up a claim with Pay-Pal and had a refund within 24hrs. Now that’s not the end of the story. ( http://www.beekeepingforums.com/thr...-buy-from-BeeBabys-com?highlight=beebabys.com ) To warn others. And some members knew Justin Cheesman (owner of Beebaby.com) they said he was posting on other message boards that he was swamped with orders and could not fill them. He had time to post on messages boards but couldn’t answerer an email? Real POS if you ask me so PLEASE NEVER USE BeeBaby.com. And a big Thank You to Justin “I am too busy on the internet to answer E-Mails†Cheesman.

Next was Walter T. Kelly (https://kelleybees.com/ ) Ordered Hive top feeder, hive tools and burlap for smoker. Shipping was slow (3 weeks), and high shipping price. I would use again if I could not find what I want from somewhere else.

So Now that I did not have a Hive and my bees would be coming in 3 weeks I was worried. I get recommended Honeybee Habitat ( http://www.honeybeehabitat.com ). Now I email and call (leaving a voice mail) and within 2 hrs I get a call back from Steve. I explained what had happened and how I need a hive fast. He assures me He can help and take care of me. So I order 2 hive kits and a smoker. The hives were ordered already fully assembled and painted. Came to about $75 more (without smoker) then the original order from BeeBaby.com BUT these were assembled and painted. Order went easy. I received the hives in about 1 week from order. Only problem was the hives were not painted. I contacted Steve and explained that they were not painted. He was very apologetic and said that there were several orders that went out wrong and that he would refund the difference and a few extra for my inconvenience. At that point there was nothing I could do so I accepted the refund and painted them myself. I WOULD give Honeybee Habitat another try.

On to where I got my bee’s

So being my first year in beekeeping I did not know you normally order bees in Jan for the following spring. I was looking in early March. Everywhere was sold out. I then found Bee Hive Barn in NJ (http://www.beehivebarn.com ) I call and spoke to Sally and she said she had some early May Nuc’s. I paid my deposit and had one secured. . Fast-forward to today... Well if you have been following my issues with the queen from this week ( http://www.beekeepingforums.com/thr...e-some-questions-need-advice?highlight=advice ) I am hoping that Sally comes through and re-queens for me or at least at a discounted price.. We will see. I will keep everyone posted.

2. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I have been using Kelleys pretty much exclusively. I normally have next day or second day with them. I mark that I want USPS but they always send it UPS...which is cheaper. I am only a state away...maybe 3 hours or so. But, my last order took over a week because they were slammed two Monday's ago with a large 200 order day. They were very embarrassed by the delay in shipments and were exceedingly apologetic. I have had very good customer service with them. I just received a new telescoping lid and screened bottom board today because UPS damaged my last shipment free of charge. They filed a claim and just told me to keep my shipping box for two weeks in case UPS wanted to see it. I was able to fix the original bottom board and don't mind the few dent in the metal of the telescoping lid. Now I have a good start on another hive!

3. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Dadant is tops.
    But I haven't tried everyone. Dadant is in Paris, Texas, close enough that a bee-friend who works in the Dallas area can run over and pick up our orders in his van.

I emailed beebabys before ordering, didn't hear back, didn't order.

Russell Apiaries is good, but not strong on communication - not sure who makes their woodware, but they got slammed unprepared back in January, when I ordered my woodware. Still didn't have it in March, but they refunded me, then shipped the wood stuff when it came in, at no charge. (3 mediums, 2 deeps, 1 nuc sbb) I donated the mediums to my bee club today - with what I got from Dadant, I just didn't need them anymore. That was the neatest little sbb I've ever seen. One of these days when I'll be home to receive it, I'm ordering a Russell queen. Or maybe 2.

Gypsi

4. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

Are you connected with a local beekeeping club? Two reasons: First, club members are a great resource in recommending suppliers. Sometimes there may be a nearby supplier that you don't know about, such as a Mann Lake or Kelley distributor that's within driving distance so you don't have to pay shipping. Second, club members often go in together on orders to save on shipping.\

As an aside, Beebaby's just underwent a change in ownership, and I've heard the new owner is trying very hard to make things right with orders messed up by the previous owner.

5. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

Just trying to help:

Harvey's Honey 912 Rt 40 Monroeville, NJ 08343 (cough cough) nice 1/2 day trip, (cough cough). You can actually go in, lay your hands on the stuff you want, purchase, and haul it home with you :)

I'm headed there today to pick up 100 deep frames, nuc boxes, and other stuff.

6. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Thanks Guys.... I think I will try Dadant, or Mann Lake....

Eddy... Thats why I was happy when I found BeeHive Barn They are exit 7 on NJTP .. only 40 min door to door, They make the woddenware there and are a Brushy Mountain distributor for other stuff. Sally was great till I said I have issues with the queen from the nuc. BUT I think (hope) she helps fix the issue. If not I am open to suggestions for a replacement queen.
    As for Harvey's its over 200 mi round trip Gas and tolls I would be looking at $80. and about 4:30 hrs..

7. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

I agree with Indy. There are quite a few distributors out there that may be within driving distance that you may not be aware of. I buy mostly Brushy Mountain & Miller Bee but buy from a distributor that carries both an hour away. You kinda get the best of both worlds if they carry product from alternate manufactures, not to mention when you pick up your orders there are no shipping charges associated and if they don't have everything you need you can then order online.

Not sure about all distributors but the one I deal with (Busy Bee) sales at catalog price so there are no surprises. I also buy direct from Brushy Mountain and have had good experiences with all orders, I know they have a NC and PA facility.

8. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Medic, congratulations. You opened an important thread on a vital topic. One of the important functions of the forum should be to help direct beeks to manufacturers/suppliers that provide good reliable equipment and service.
    These fellows should be aware of the feedback on the forum so they can know where they are on track or off. That way, they'll improve their services for the benefit of all.
    That having been said, I'd like to add my own two cents worth. Though I buy equipment through a local distributor who purchases from many manufacturers, I'd like to praise the quality of items that came from Kelleys. I bought top-notch frames of theirs that have been serving me well for years.

9. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I've bought everything other than jackets/veils from Dadant. My dad lives 40 mins away and can drive up to get stuff or I can bail out of work early on Friday and pick it up on our way to visit the folks. It is nice to go over there and actually put your hands on stuff before buying and the people are top-notch and love talking beekeeping because they do it too!

10. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Ok, again, just trying to help out. I believe the trip would have been a wash with the savings realized on the equipment plus no ibuprofen needed lol.

11. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

I've done business with primarily Kellys (KY) and Rossman (GA). I've purchased primarily foundation, frames, and tools from Kellys while about 95% of my woodenware has come from Rossman. The closest vendors to me are ~200 miles one way so I order the bulk orders to be delivered at bee meetings (2011 Alabama Beekeepers Association Meeting and the 2012 Auburn Bee Symposium) which has avoided LOT$ of freight for me. If you can plan in advance you can save lots of freight (enough for LOTS of woodenware or whatever) by having your stuff delivered to these types of meetings. Plus, the vendor has more time to pack the orders resulting in fewer mistakes.

I've had one problem ordering from these two places and it was handled *very* quickly, a simple error.

I've also had some smaller orders delivered via UPS and USPS. These orders were shipped quickly by both companies and at a fair cost. If I order something to be shipped I inquire about the actual shipping...I know that Kellys online system has had problems with it's shipping calculator in the past and it seems Rossman's doesn't give the exact cost. To be sure you get the correct shipping amount call or email for a shipping quote. I've never entered an order "online" with them...I normally email it to them so they can give me a correct shipping quote and once I approve the quote they ship it pretty much right out. I've only had probably five total orders shipped from these two companies and all of them have arrived in 3 days or less.

One thing regarding emailing a company...a person responds to you if you receive more than a form letter. Get to semi-know this person, a little banter, a little levity, let'em know that you see them as a person and not simply someone to gripe to when something goes wrong. As I tell folks, I do business with people...not companies. When you can get them to send a smiley face back or a "LOL" back to you you've achieved a pretty good digital acquaintance with them. If they know I'm in a tight for something it's easy for them to walk an order over to shipping and say "Larry, could you get this one out today for Ed?"...otherwise the order probably goes to the bottom of the stack of 10, 20,...100(?) orders.

I've ordered from Brushy Mountain, also. Orders from them have normally taken 5+ days for some reason. I had one problem with some woodware from them (bad fit, I called the rack the Hive Beetle Hotel). They sent a replacement rack, told me to keep the other one. The second one was better. I slapped on the wood putty to the first one sealed the cracks....got two of them now. I was satisfied with their response and have learned if I need something quick to not order it from them.

Location, location, location...just like bees being close to a source of nectar creates a much greater efficiency and speeds up putting up stores being closer to a vendor seems to help with more expedient shipping times. The closer you are to a vendor the faster you *should* receive your shipment...all other things being equal.

Look regional for a vendor, create a relationship with "someone" at the company, and...plan ahead. ;)

So much for my newbee mutterings. :smile:
    Ed

12. oblib

oblib New Member

In case you look at no other forum and they still owe you money/equipment I will paste the latest reply here. I left the link and number in case you need to contact the new owner.

Hello to all, MY name is Randy and I am the new owner of BeeBaby's. I have been in contact with some of you about your orders that some are having issues with. It is my intention to complete your orders that were taken and paid for by BeeBaby's before I bought it. I want to thank the ones I have spoke to for having patients with me as the new owner. I can be reached at; randy@beebabys.com or at 419-520-5591. I was hoping to be all caught up and shipped by tomorrow, but I received 3 more orders last night and today that were not filled totally. I am working very hard to set things straight with everyone, but I maybe looking at finishing everything by this weekend. I wanted to let everyone know that they will be taken care of. Thank you to who ever suggested I come on here to let everyone know. ​

13. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I started with Brushy Mountain, and still get my frames from them. The first boxes I got, I bought the pre-assembled ones, because I had never messed with them before. But, once I got them and saw that it wasn't rocket science, I ordered some unassembled ones. But they don't come with nails, and I saw that Kelley's does. So I've been ordering my boxes from Kelley's and am satisfied. It took a week and a half for the last order to get here, but I figured they were probably swamped with orders at the time, so I don't mind that.

14. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

My suit and veils/helmets are all Dadant. Would like something cooler as summer approaches. Where do you get your jackets and veils?

15. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

16. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I bought my suit from Pigeon Mountain Trading Company. It's a "breeze" or ventilated suit and is really cool (comfortable cool, not groovy cool).

http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/2012/03/day-trip-to-pigeon-mountain-trading.html

I got it with the fencing type veil but have discovered I prefer the circular type veil and have ordered a replacement.

My only disappointment was that it was not made in the US, which the description on their website led me to believe it was.

http://www.pigeonmountaintrading.com/Category/1-22636-ventilated-bee-wear.aspx

17. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

just a comment about this:
    if you cannot meet supply and demand, than do not take additional orders or worse yet someone's money. in addition, i find it interesting that the 'new owner' is claiming trying to square things, and takes more orders when previous orders have not yet been filled and shipped? did i read this correctly?

btw, i will 2nd what ef said: (i too buy from a local co. b and b honey farm)
    "Though I buy equipment through a local distributor who purchases from many manufacturers, I'd like to praise the quality of items that came from Kelleys. I bought top-notch frames of theirs that have been serving me well for years"

18. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

You Know You MAY be right... Maybe I will make a day of it..how far from Alantic city..lol

19. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I went to their website and it's still functioning. It's possible that the additional 3 orders came in online. Perhaps they should have disabled their online ordering until they had caught up on current orders.

I only know what I've read about this situation. It sounds like the new owners have inherited a sinking ship, but are trying to right it. I wish them luck. I'm sure they've got their hands full.

20. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

i would agree with you slowmodem. i myself don't have any personal experience with this company, and alot to take on 'a sinking ship'. what i do know is being stiffed for a substantial amount of money, and the owner continues to take orders when he hasn't filled orders or paid money back to beeks he owed from 3 years ago......makes one think twice about purchasing from any company who has created some reputation for themselves, or taken on another's reputation.