I have to say I'm impressed

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by PerryBee, May 4, 2012.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I have to say I'm impressed with all of the new folks that have just started on their beekeeping adventures. I am happy you have joined the forum and even happier that you have chosen to share your experiences with us here. The excitement and exhuberence that flows from your postings are infectious and bring many of us back to when we first puffed a bit of smoke and cracked that cover for the first time.
    The fact that on top of it all, many of you are contributing as much as you do with fantastic photos and even videos (someday I'll figure out how that is done) makes it all the better! :thumbsup:

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

DITTO.......NO, DOUBLE DITTO.

Thanks, one and all.

3. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Iddee , You , Perry and the other members are the reason a newbie like me made a crazy dream come true abd became a beekeeper.. If the forum was not the way it is... In would not be posting.. and maybe have not started this year. Like i said in another post there really are not that many Keeps around me so finding a mentor was hard.. until I joined this forum.. I am happy to be a part and I can only hope That I can have the know how in the years to come..

4. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

The friendly people and great advice here makes a person feel encouraged! :)

5. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

Yeah, we newbees can provide the awe and wonder. But, you experienced folks keep us from turning into bee exterminators. I am sure I would not be as comfortable, aware, and "playful" with my girls without you guys. The board is important not only the depth and variety of wisdom, but the gentle, encouraging, respectful, collegial atmosphere.

6. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

great thread perry! TRIPLE DITTO,
    am amazed at how many new keeps there are! very, very cool!
    ibeelearning said:
    "Yeah, we newbees can provide the awe and wonder. But, you experienced folks keep us from turning into bee exterminators."

yes you do provide awe and wonder:lol: but even us older keeps find plenty of awe and wonder ourselves, we might not admit it :roll:
    just ask perry and iddee.....:grin:

bee exterminators?! LOL :lol:

7. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I'll keep posting pictures if you guys keep handing out free advice!!!

on a side note. I've bought a nuc and package this spring and had the good fortune of catching a really nice, easy swarm so I'm up to 3 hives. Got a call today from the guy that backed out of selling me a nuc a few weeks ago to say he was able to get some from another guy but also to say there is an older beek in town that can no longer take care of his bees due to age creeping up on him and wanted to sell his existing hives and extra equipment to a new beek for cheap. He gave me the fellas number and said I'd be a good fit.

It appears there there is a mathematical rule determining how many hives you want to have. It is:

n = number of hives your currently have
    h = hives you WANT to have

h=n+1

there you have it.

8. Omie

Omie New Member

Awesome thread Perry. :thumbsup:
    Yay for the newbies!!!!!

9. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

Oh, and here's a pic of what my hive started from a nuc acquired from Indian Summer Honey Farm has done in a few hours less than 5 days. They haven't touched the frames with foundation other than to chew up the foundation to redposit it in the foundationless frames.

[​IMG]

10. Omie

Omie New Member

Ha haa...the bees know what they prefer!
    Don't be surprised if they want to make a bunch of drones at first...it's Spring remember, and romance is in the air! :lol:

11. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

I'm a slacker! Not one picture yet :)

Here's the packages getting their ride home:
    package ride.jpg

and all settle in:
    hives first day.jpg
    Hopefully in short order I'll be posting pictures of me adding my first super.

Thanks for the support.

12. Zulu

Zulu Member

Perry I don't know what kinda smoke you puff up there.........

Oh you were talking about a bee smoker:lol:

Good thread and I continue to learn from all of you , new and old, young and wise.

13. jim314

jim314 New Member

Those are two good looking packages Papakeith, congrats on the install :)

14. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Thanks to everyone here. I found another Forum 1st and didn't like it...So glad I found this one everyone is great!

15. Omie

Omie New Member

I know the excitement!- Congrats on your new hives! :thumbsup:

16. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Thanks Perry! I was just thinking today I am grateful for each and every one of you here...I don't have anybody else besides my mentor, and he's not a communicator, to talk to about bees..I am working on a brother in law and a co-worker...I made a hive for the co-worker and waiting on my brother in law to make his top bar...

17. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:lol: :rolling: :rotfl: I guess I could have worded that a little better!

18. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

I have to say that this was the first forum I found, and I liked it so now your stuck with me. :grin: I have to say there is a wealth of knowledge inside this forum.

19. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

In a nutshell: The power of being positive is positively mutually infectious. :clap: