I hear you have a bee vacuum!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by G3farms, Jun 16, 2012.

1. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Got a call from a very nice lady that got my name and number from the bee club.

her.....They told me you had a bee vacuum and could suck up the bees with it.

me.....Yes I do have a bee vacuum.

her.....Wonderful, wonderful, we have some bees at a rental house that are going into the wall at a light fixture, is this something you would be interested in doing? We did not want to spray the bees and was hoping someone could put them in a hive and keep them going.

me......Yes I am interested and will take a look at it.

her.....Wonderful, wonderful, let me ask my husband if I can give you the renters name, address, and phone number............(you can hear them talking in the back ground)......My husband said to let the renter call you with her information.

me.......That will be fine but let me ask you a little more about the house itself, what kind of siding....brick, stone, vinyl......

her.......oh does that make a difference?

me.....yes mam it does, and I think you have the wrong idea about the vacuum. You do not just suck out all of the bees, honey, brood and comb into a hive. I have to actually cut into the wall to physically get to the bees and comb.

her......ohhh,......let me let you talk to my husband

me......Hello, this is George the bee keeper, and was wondering what kind of siding was on the house?

him......It is 4 x 8 sheets of masonite, but they are going in at a light fixture. I will call the renter now and she will call you back in just a few minutes.

me......Well that will be fine. Now I can remove the siding or cut them out from inside, cutting out the sheet rock. I think you have the wrong idea of how a bee vac works, it only does crowd control, the comb still needs to be cut out. I try my best to be easy and careful so that repairs are not difficult to make. I do charge for this service by the way.

him.......Charge! I thought you were wanting the bees??? Well how much do you charge???

me.....Well I start at $300.....

him......Thank you and "CLICK" went the phone!

Oh well those poor bees are doomed to the spray, I can only hope they are yellow jackets.

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I havent done any cutouts in quite awhile for the same reason people just dont understand what is involved

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I wish we could come up with some sort of catchy line or phrase that would make the point and yet no pi$$ people off. Amazing that some think that it will be done for free. Admittedly I did my first cut-out and first trap-out for the bees but that stopped. Once you have the experience and realize the effort involved in doing one, for free loses it's appeal real quick.

4. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I've got a catchy line. "If you just spray the bees, all that lovely wax and honey are going to melt your sheet rock and ants and yellow jackets will be coming in through the bee entry points for the feast, at which point it is going to cost a LOT more than $300".

And my friend the exterminator starts at $350, killing the bees but removing the comb etc, and keeps going past $1200.

Figure I'll do ok in the long run?

Gypsi

5. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

I kinda understand joe citizen thinking you do it for free, but when a contractor calls and can't/won't understand that you charge for a service it really torques my shorts.

Had a roofing contractor call about a hive in a home he was working on get kinda pizzy about paying and he said YOUR A BEEKEEPER you should do it for free, I said ok I'll make a deal with you, if it takes me 4 hours to do the removal then you come work on my roof for 4 hours,supply all tools and material for free and we have a deal. He hung up on me:confused:

6. Gypsi

Now there are people that I will help for free or low cost. And they are people that have helped me. Or an odd special case here or there, I'll reduce services to "must have" level and tote the note for low cost repairs, fully aware that I may never get paid. But yes, it is VERY hard work doing cutouts. Rewarding, but somedays I'd rather dig weeds..

7. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Next year I'm changing my listing to read "cutouts start at $XXX.00. 1/2 down, balance upon completion." What? you no pay the balance? NP. You can have the bees back. I'll just dump them here next to where I found them.

This way they know before thay call that money will be changing hands.

8. blueblood

blueblood New Member

He will be really surprised when he sees the bill from a contractor when the honey starts to drip and the varmints crawl and do their thing...ha!

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Eddy Honey, I Wish you luck. I would never call such an ad.

Today, which was typical. One cutout, one call that was hornets, one call that said they will call back, and one call set to do a cutout Monday morning.

No business should expect to make a sale with every prospect. You just make enough to keep going

10. Gypsi

I use a contract. I use several contracts. One a liability waiver, and one authorizing me to do specified work for a specified amount of money. A signed contract will stand up in small claims court, and contractors have "mechanics lien" rights just like mechanics. Difference is, no inconvenience to homeowner until they try to sell their house.

I've been stiffed for more on a single tab than I ever foresee a cutout bill being, which is why I hired a lawyer and learned to use contracts.

Gypsi

11. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I really don't want the cutouts.....but if they really want me to they know before they ever call.....