I just have TO.

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by alleyyooper, Oct 9, 2009.

1. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

I just have to rant this out of my system. We have 12 out yards Most all of them are at places where the people are good hard working people and respect other peoples property.
    We got this out yard we call the christmass tree farm as that is what Paul has going to suplment his fixed income. He is tghe across the road neighbour of a close friend of mine.

So we are checking hives yesterday to see if there are any we may need to feed extra syrup now. At the christmas tree farm we have 12 colonies in the front and 12 in back. Last year a deer hunter built a tower blind about 20 feet from the colonies inthe back but a row of trees kept it fromn the hives. NO BIG DEAL over that.
    I drive in yesterday and see a deer blind less than 3 feet from our front group of colonies. I needed to make 3 mouse guards and make and install some flashing to close off the screen bottom boards. While I'm doing that the deer hunter drives up on his ATV and askes if the blind is OK there.
    I went off on him and told him it was fine as I had already decided to drop in at the house and tell Paul I was going to move those 12 colonies ASAP and would get the other 12 out come spring whenthey were lighter.
    I also told the deer hunter What I thought of Sotheren Michigan deer hunters and none of it is good. Bunch of fence cutting tresspassing voliators way I see it.

Why on earth would you want a deer blind so close to honey bee hives any way.
    He didn't want me to stop at the house so said he will move the blind away from the hives. We will look Monday and see.

:D Al

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I'm a deer hunter and it does seem strange that someone would put a blind close to your bee hives. He may not be much of a woodsman and knows if he follows the road to your bee hives he can find his stand in the dark. I understand your feelings on this but i hope you didn't make him mad,especially if nobody knows this guy, i have seen and heard of things getting out of hand with some of these guy's and their buddy's, like turning over your hives and shooting them. I hope this isn't the case, Good luck. Jack

3. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Maybe he was hoping to get a bear, if he didn't get a deer?
    But like brooks said, you've already worn the path for him.
    How many hunters drive ATVs to their stands during the day? My neighbors usually walk in real early in the morning.

4. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Michigans fire arm deer season does not open till Nov. 15th. So the guy was rideing back to redo his bait pile. Last year it was not legal to bait but he was. The land owner knows the guy because the guy said he was a neighbour to the south a bit.
    I am also a deer hunter but I differ as I hunt the UPPER to stay away from the blaze army. Bad thing is I own woods in southern Michigan where I live. Because of that the Southern Michigan deer hunters have put a bad taste in my mouth and normally I refuse to call such people hunters.
    They have cut my fences to get their ATVS on my land, they have littered my woods with TP when they were tracking a wounded deer. They have removed the back straps and hind quarters from deer and left the rest in my woods. They have deer blinds so close to the fence it rubs on the blind, they have tree stands in trees that lean right over my fence so if they fell they would land in my woods. They have threatened to shoot my dogs when I was out walking them after shooting hours. But that has about finished for the last couple of years as I caught one tresspasser on film and told him,, every one from this day forward I will press charges for tresspassing.

Not once has any adult asked to hunt, look or recover wounded or dead game from my property. They feel it is their right. Michigans law differs in that you have to have the land owners permission to be on his/her property for any reason including recovering game.
    Well the salespersons and church people can come knocking on your door :D but 24 colonies of bees in the yard stopped that.

:D Al

5. rast

rast New Member

3 feet in front of the hives would have ticked me off too.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

seems like a conversation I have had in regards to deer hunters all over the country again and again and again..

what EXACTLY is there about deer hunting that cause all sorts of reasonable folks to loose their senses?

and don't get me started on a tale of me, a (bow) chain saw and a trespassing hunter that though it was just fine to walk right tru a bunch of posted signs and then drive a bunch of spikes in my pine trees in order to secure his tree stand.

just to fess up I have hunted, fished and trapped all sorts of game but deer hunting has never had much of an allure for me. the modern way of killin' deer seems to me to be only a hairs breadth from what we use to call baiting game... which in my mind is definitely not hunting.

sqrcrk writes:
    How many hunters drive ATVs to their stands during the day? My neighbors usually walk in real early in the morning.

tecumseh:
    judging by the little trucks pulling little trailers all loaded with one or two atv's I assume the government was issuing these with every hunting licenses???

quite evidently hunting ain't the inexpensive past time that it was when I was a young.