I just installed my first package but all the bee's aren't going in the hive....

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Gator_56, May 2, 2012.

1. Gator_56

Gator_56 New Member

I installed them yesterday afternoon and this morning, A few (maybe 200 or so) are still hanging around the outside of the hive. A few are by themselves but mostly in a clump on the outside of the package they came in. Should I brush them off on to the landing board and remove the package?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Shaking would be better. A brush upsets them.

3. Gator_56

Gator_56 New Member

So just bump them off the package and onto the landing board?

4. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Brush...yeah, BAD...Iddee is right...I found out the hard way this week..ha! If I am reading your post right, I would open the inner cover, pick that package up and shake them back in...do you have full foundations on your frames?

5. Gator_56

Gator_56 New Member

Yes, I full wax foundations.

6. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

shake them back into the hive, or gently brush if not alot. the ones hanging on the outside will find their way in. sometimes it takes them a day to figure out they have a new home rather than the crate they came in, so i wouldn't be concerned. 1 question, where's the queen?

7. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

8. Gator_56

Gator_56 New Member

I'll go do that right now, Thanks for your quick response.

9. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

hey you are welcome, post back! :grin:

10. Omie

Omie New Member

A bee brush can be used too roughly, dragging it over the bees and pulling at them. A lighter 'flicking' touch with the bee brush won't upset bees too much.

11. Gator_56

Gator_56 New Member

Ok, Just got back from opening up the hive and have a few observations and questions.

1) I saw about 10 little blackish dark brown beetles... is that normal/ok?

2) Not sure if which direction the queen cage was turned because when I removed the feeder it fell to the bottom. The queen was still in it and there wasn't much candy removed, so I removed the cork from the other end and set ole girl free. I was nervous she was going to fly off so I sat the cage down on the slatted rack and waited a few minuets, when I picked it up to check she off of the cage in the hive.(I hope). Is that all good?

3) Yesterday when I was installing, before I ever popped the lid open on the package there were maybe 10-15 bees flying around the package... i assume this is from another hive near by... will this cause problems?

Thanks.

12. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

1) small hive beetle, not normal someone here can tell you how to deal with them.

2) a new method of queen introduction:grin: as long as she is in the hive.

3) brush, shake or smoke the bees away from the crate and remove it.

13. Iddee

Iddee New Member

SHB. Get the hive out of the shade and into full, all day sunlight. SHB in a shaded hive will destroy it.

14. Gator_56

Gator_56 New Member

Let's suppose that's not possible.... I live in town and my entire yard is shaded. I was reading about SHB traps... will they work? I just made one like this and was about to make the bait. Have you ever tried anything like this?

15. Iddee

Iddee New Member

All I can say is, trap all you can and hope it's enough. I haven't used traps because all mine are in full sunlight.

16. Zulu

Zulu Member

Try something I learned here, spread wood ash / or lime around the base of the hives.

SHB larvae need to go to ground to pupate.

I am still experimenting with it, so not 100% sure yet, but it does make sense.

17. Gator_56

Gator_56 New Member

I'll try that as well.

18. Gator_56

Gator_56 New Member

I have also found several bees(maybe 10 or so) crawling on the ground up to 20 yards away from the hive. They seem like they can't fly and are quite weak, is this normal? Keeping in mind that I installed this package about 24 hrs ago.

19. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

hi gator,
    about the several or 10 or so (package) bees you just hived crawling around in the grass, not being able to fly or seem weak to you.....these could be and are most likely older bees ....this is normal.
    if the numbers increase in the next couple weeks, or week, with many, many bees exhibiting this behavior, this would not be normal.

20. Gator_56

Gator_56 New Member

Thanks Riverbee. That makes me feel much better. My son(6 years old) found several of them he was VERY concerned. I of course had NO clue what was going on. Everything else seems to be working out great they are quite active all day long. Thanks for all the good advice guys!!!