I killed her... now what?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Papakeith, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

It was time to move my last nuc to a new home. 3+ frames of brood, some stores, good population and a beautiful, freshly minted, good pattern-laying queen.

I spotted her on the 4th frame as I was transferring them all to their new abode. I quickly snatched her up with a clip and transferred her to a marking tube. I put an almost perfect spot of color on her thorax. I waited a few seconds for it to start to set, and released the pressure.

no movement

I pulled the plunger out of the tube and .....nothing. I guess I put a bit too much pressure on the plunger (honestly it was barely enough to keep her in place:frustrated:.

They certainly have plenty of eggs to requeen, but they were already behind the rest of my colonies.

Now what?

let them requeen?
    combine them with another hive to bolster their numbers?
    buy a local queen so there isn't too much lost time?

It was such a good day too. I hate when I do stupid stuff!:cry:

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

papaKeith,Sorry for your lose, it depends on if you want to take that hive through the winter or not? Knowing the climate in your area(how much time before winter was left) would be the main thing to me. You have answered your own question, it's just deciding which way to go.
    1. buy a bred queen
    2.let them supersede,feed, and take some honey from hives that can spare it, to give to this hive.
    3.Combine, and split in the spring
    ​Jack

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I would buy a local queen from good stock if available.

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Are you positive she was dead? I know it sounds silly, but I have read several times where queens "faint" and appear all but dead when they are not.
    Sounds weird but I am sure I have read this more than once.

5. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

fainting goats I've heard of, but fainting queens? I guess I can hope she was just taking a moment. As of dusk she hadn't been pushed out of the hive yet.

The deep freeze usually hits here mid December or so. The last of our flows will peter out with the Aster and Goldenrod in September/October. Allowing for them to requeen will burn up the rest of August, giving them two-three months to build up the winter bees.

6. Wolfer

Wolfer New Member

I don't know about queens but one time I picked several drowned bees out while I was processing and wiped them up with a paper towel and dropped them in the wastebasket. The next morning they were all crawling around but couldn't fly because their wings were stuck down. I gathered them up and sat them on the landing board for their sisters to clean up.
    Ive laid drowned bees on the tailgate since then and most will be gone in the morning. Woody

7. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Here's hoping she was just stunned.

8. RayMarler

RayMarler New Member

Yes, me too, I've had queens feint from marking them. I've heard it's from the abdomen getting squeezed a little much during the marking process. Hopefully this is all that happened to yours.

9. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

I am inclined to believe that she's stunned they would have discarded her in short order.
    Barry

10. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Next time turn her over on her back and hold her hind feet up:grin:. Sorry, i couldn't help it, never heard of a bee fainting.:lol: Jack

11. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

I peeked into the hive yesterday.
    I definitely killed her. multiple queen cells. Guess I'm letting them requeen.