I must be doing something wrong!

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Papakeith, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

Two months in and no stings!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

2. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Stings happen and don't happen in bunches. Don't get too comfortable :lol:

3. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I have received two stings so far since April. Both times happened because I was not being patient. Your simply doing what your supposed to be doing I would imagine, gentle and respectful to their space...

4. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Not to fear Papakeith, your first sting is enroute lol not if but when and how many.
    Barry

5. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

papakeith,
    i say you just go out, wave your bare hand at the front entrance and get it over with and be initiated :lol:

6. litefoot

litefoot New Member

You should inspect your hives more than once every two months!:lol: Just kidding.

I went about 5 weeks before I got stung the first time. I thought I just had the best bees in the world, so I kept doing stupid things like taking the inner and outer tops off and looking down into the hive without smoke or veil. Then one day my world came crashing down as a rocket bee shot out and stung me on the tip of my nose.:shock: My bees didn't love me anymore.:roll: The next day, I got stung again when an curious little bee crawled into my glove causing me to drop a frame full of bees. Obviously, I'm a bit more careful now.

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Famous last words my friend. :mrgreen:
    I hope they don't come back to haunt you (but if they do................................take pictures!) :thumbsup: :lol:

8. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

Honestly, I'd almost rather get it done and over with. Trouble is I'm too much of a self preservationist to go out of my way to get stuck on purpose.
    I figured putting this out there would tip the scales of fate against me some.

9. ablanton

ablanton New Member

I started keeping in March and didn't get my first sting until late June.

10. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

It will happen when you least expect it!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

11. bamabww

bamabww New Member

Pretty good streak. Hope it continues. Most of the times I've been stung I can say it was my fault; bent my arm with one on the wrong side of the elbow, lean up against a tree with one on my back etc.

12. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

I know this much PapaK,it's gonna happen when you least expect it,my first sting came when changing out a feed bottle shortly after getting my first colony last year,she got me on the tip of my remote control finger.:shock::eek:

13. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

lol anticipation---just wait till you get that warm fuzzy feeling, crawling up your pant leg, and the sense of panic with the realization, she is coming entirely too close to places you'd prefer she not visit.
    Barry

14. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

Alright, now I'm just tempting fate.
    The weeds had gotten up pretty high, so I pulled the walk behind brush cutter out of the garage and went to work. Shorts and t shirt. Throwing twigs, scraps of grass, etc all over the place. Some even bounced off the front of the hive and onto the entrance ledge.
    Nothing:dontknow:.

My girls love me :lol:

15. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, you might think so at this moment. :wink:
    Somehow, I think you have toyed with fate just a little too much and you know what they say about paybacks!.......................................
    They hurt! :shock: :lol:
    Let me be the first to say (in advance) I told you so! :rolling:

16. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

you are of course missing out on one of the greatest purely natural remedies for any number of maladies. I myself go get my shots or a very regular schedule.

17. certaut

certaut New Member

I have arthritis both legs, and owned a hoveround for a few years. When I got stung through my jeans in the leg and the pain was gone I started tending hives with a ultra-breeze jacket and shorts. I cancelled the hip replacement and I have begun converting the hoveround to to pull a lawnmower like a rumba vacuum cleaner

18. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

What are mixing in their sugar syrup?

19. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Well I have to say my cutout hive has some sweet bees in it. Only got stung once during the cutout. Took my gloves off at the end, picked up a box, and there was one in the handle. I don't think they've got me since. Not terribly efficient honey production there, I wanted to have a deep look last week to see what was going on, but they are sweet.

My VSH are a bit more defensive. Not a lot, just a bit. But for the most part they are good natured lady-bees.

That hot bunch got me twice through my suit on Saturday. Fortunately on my right arm. Not sure if it has arthritis or bursitis, but I am sure it actually feels better. They got me several times before I booted them out of the garden in June.

and then there were last year's bees pursuing me off the lot, tag on the hand, 2 days later tag on back of the head, 2 days later tag on the ear. I wasn't even working them, just trying to pull pond plants.

Eventually, if you have bees around long enough, they will have a "cranky" day. And your arthritis will feel better!

Gypsi

20. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

It took me a couple of months to get stung too. Then I got hit three times in two inspections. Every time has been from me squishing a bee between a frame and my finger. Yesterday I got one inside my mouth when I ate a chunk of burr comb with a bee in it. But I have yet to get stung when I did not 100% deserve it. I take my kids to look at the bees almost every day, the bees don't ever pay us any attention. They are too busy. Once the flow stops I'll have to be more careful.