I must be slipping.

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by PerryBee, Jun 28, 2011.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I don't know what's going on but I think I must be slipping.
    I have a couple of hives that I have been struggling with, trying to get them to requeen. I have been placing a frame with eggs in these hives for what seems like eternity and I cannot get them to succesfully rear a queen. Today I went into both of them, again looking at the marked frames to see if there was any cells being raised off the (last) frame I put in each hive (both done on the 23rd of June), and again, nope, nadda, nothing, just normal worker cells being raised. But lo and behold, on the next frame, eggs! :shock:
    Now this wasn't just on one hive, but both! :shock: :shock:

Topping that off, I just made up 6 nucs and all released their new queens but somehow 1 of them ended up queenless. These are 5 frame nucs. I got another queen to introduce but I thought that I would just set her on the top bars to see how they would react to this one and I'm pretty sure they were unhappy about it, very aggresive towards her, very buzzy/loud. :confused: I set her aside and went throught the nuc yet again and still come up empty. Something in there? How can I miss something in a 5 frame nuc? :oops:

Finally, the nuc where I discovered a pile of bees under it and lost the queen (flew off, another thread) when I was walking to my truck. I checked it today and there were .... eggs! So I went through it twice to find her but could not find the queen and as above, they were very buzzy/loud, suggesting being queenless. A 5 frame nuc and I can't find a queen?

Maybe a Crown Royal and Coke may soothe my battered ego. :oops:
    (Good thing I didn't have anybody with me today.)

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

My only question is, Why do you look for them? Finding eggs is where I always stop, unless I want to move her or some frames without her.

PS. I find more queens that way than I do looking for them.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

The nucs I am selling, I want to make sure that not only was she released, but accepted. That's how I found out the one was queenless.

But I have to admit that I am more than often guilty of trying to find the queen when doing an inspection. I take it as a personal affront when even just to satisfy my curiosity, I get skunked by a 5 frame nuc! :lol:

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Then I should really feel dumb. I have been skunked by a two half/frame mating nuc.

5. Omie

Omie New Member

I couldn't find my pretty new queen in her 5 frame nuc the other day either, and I have very good eyesight. I know she was in there!

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

it happens. sometimes it seems that as much as your look thru 5 frame nucs and yes even baby nucs that the queen are simply incognito on that particular day. this can be frustrating when you need to box up and mail a few queens or wrap up a nuc for a customer. in both the above cases I do catch and mark the queen so spotting her highness is more than just an hypothetical exercise.

now where does your highness normally hide... 1) on the lid that you sat down without looking really close, 2) on the side or lucking in the corner of the box or 3) along the imperfections between the bottom of the comb and the bottom bar.

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Don't feel bad we all have those days.

8. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I went through a five frame nuc the other day (twice) and didn't find the queen, so i closed it up and started to walk away when i seen her on the toe of my boot. :confused: She must have been on the inner cover that i leaned against the side of the nuc. Took the lid off the nuc and brushed her off on top of the frames, she was happy and i was lucky. :lol: Jack

9. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Queens sure do some funny things for sure.