I need help!

Discussion in 'Top Bar & other Alternative Hives' started by Bheckel169, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Bheckel169

Bheckel169 New Member

I posted this message on another forum but I'm hoping to get a response as soon as possible.
    I installed my first package of bees on April 13th and they've been doing well. The queen was released in a day or two and I saw her on April 19th. Today, the 23rd, I opened the window on the TBH and saw a comb on the bottom of the TBH. Frankly, I didn't know what to do with it, but went in and determined it was nectar and uncapped honey but no eggs. I tried to attach it to a new bar but I was not successful so I took it out of the hive and put it in my refrigerator. Should I have left it on the bottom of the TBH and let the bees figure out what to do with it or just take it out as I did?
    Bruce

2. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

Take it out. Why did it fall? What kind of edge are they building from? If they are building from a solid base I haven't had one fall off on its own. Even new comb.

I have had it fall from my movements. My first top bar hive I had built for me. I did not realize that no glue was holding the wedges in place and some fell because of that. :oops: if the comb is somewhat noncrumbly you can use a needle and thread and sew it back to the top bar. If it is still crumbly fresh use it for a kids show and tell project

3. Bheckel169

Bheckel169 New Member

The top bar is flat as opposed to a triangular bottom which I have seen from time to time. But this kind of bar is being used by many TBH'ers in the region with no difficulty. I'm beginning to think the bars buckled from heat or cold or when I place the cover back on I could have hit a top bar and a sort of domino effect popped the top bar with this comb on it. It might have been jiggled off from the movement. Just a guess. The other combs are fine.
    I've used some natural string and hung it from the bar and see what happens.

4. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

Sounds good to me. I hope at this time of year it isn't temp related. Count it as a freak accident unless it happens again

5. M88A1

M88A1 New Member

I built a TBH and a Warre hive. In the TBH I used 2x2 with a beveled edge and all my combs are nice ans straight. In my Warre hice I used 1x2 cut down to 1 1/4 wide flat bottoms and run them through a table saw and glued in a 3/16 strip of wood that hangs down 1/4 from the flat bottom of the bar. This hasnt worked to well, the combs keep merging together. I think my bars are to thin also compared to the 2x2 I used in the TBH. I am going to change them with the beveled 2x2 style.