I need some QUICK advise!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by arkiebee, Apr 17, 2013.

1. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

Help - I made my splits Sunday and was installing my queens this afternoon - in a couple of my hives it looks like some of my bees left it and apparently went back to the mother hive - I do not have a lot of bees in the split, but I do have a lot of brood - what should I do - go ahead and put my queen in there or what? or can I take some bees from the mother hive and put in the split and put my queen in there - I am afraid if I do that they will not take a new queen???

2. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

From what I understand of what you did, one of each split has the original queen and the other an introduced queen.

Place the hives that are in need of strengthening, in their original position. Field bees will come to them and build up their populations.
    The hives with the new queens and without brood will build up slowly, as the new queen lays eggs and the new brood comes out.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

What Efmesch said, and do it at the height of the day when most of the foragers are out. When they return they will boost numbers in you "weak" hives. :thumbsup:

4. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

I had to do something fast because severe storms are moving in. I found the number of our state bee inspector and he suggested that I take some of the frames from my split and move them back to the hive they came from and then take some new frames of brood back over to the split and shake some extra bees in there. I did that and looked really hard for the queen. He said that if some of the brood was lost from the split that the bees in the mother hive will clean those cells out and start over. This had never happened to me before...and the almanac said it was a good day to split!:roll:

My new question is...HOW long should I wait before I check on those splits to make sure my new and expensive queen is ok?

Right when you think you have seen it all...done it all...it all comes back to surprise you once again!

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Welcome to beekeeping. If you ever see it all, or ever figure it all out, call me would you? :wink:
    I would leave them alone for a while. They have been disrupted quite a bit since Sunday, and any further aggravation and they may end up blaming the queen. My guess would be to check in a week or so.

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

When you have a weak and a strong, switch places in the middle of the day to equalize.

7 days after introduction is my rule.

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Now it's my turn to echo Perry. Go easy on the girls. So long as they have adequate food supplies in both parts of the splits to weather the storms, leave them be. The rough weather, keeping them in the hives for a few days may be a blessing in disguise.

8. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

Thanks guys - I never thought of it, efmesch, about the weather - We are to have severe storms tonight and they are really blowing in now with high winds - the only thing I did was poke a bit of hay underneath the hive since I have hive stands and screen bottom boards to maybe help them hold the heat in better because it is to drop in temps tomorrow night. And with the stormy and rainy weather we are to get tonight and tomorrow that probably will be a blessing - to keep the bees INSIDE the new hives - to encourage them to learn to like their new home.

9. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

One quick question...I've been thinking...What crime would I be committing if I went out there tonight when it gets totally dark.. like now.. and plug the entrance to those splits? They are reduced to the smallest opening anyway, and if I close them up for a day..maybe longer? would that help them "work it out" with what I had to do today..or would it make things worse?

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

well if you get a good cold spell that brood will be toast....

switching postion may help if you have good flying weather but not so much if you do not.

If weather temperature was a problem I would recombine with a newspaper and a queen excluder and then once the population had equalized and the new queen released I would then divide again.

11. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Murder!!! :eek:

12. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

I meant to plug it up for today - it's stormy here today. They will probably not leave the hive anyway . It's in the 70s now and is to drop in the 40s by noon. I know you have to plug them up to move them? And those guys who move all the hives to the almond groves have their bees plugged up for a period of time???

13. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Screened, maybe. Plugged, NEVER.

14. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

I have screened bottom board so they can still get air. It is storming here now and temps are dropping fast -

15. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I would slide a false bottom in to cover the screen and leave the small entrance open.

16. Noronajo

Noronajo New Member

We are experiencing the same weather pattern you are and I too have new splits- RWeaver moved the shipping date on my 3 queens up from after the 22nd to the 5th of April. I kept them covered and watered as through the last cold front but had to do the splits Saturday when the nite temps were warmer, knowing another below freezing spell was on the way. The attendants had started dying and I had no choice so I requeened one backyard hive and made a split from another- 2 queens installed. Went to 2hives 14 miles north and made another split. In each one I put 3 frames of brood and at least 2 frames pollen and honey. Then yesterday I checked all 3 newly queened hives-all 3 were released and laying. Big storm came through and I'm hoping they'll be okay when it goes down in the twenties tonite and they keep the brood warm but there's always a chance they won't.

17. Crofter

Crofter New Member

You could lose some to chilled brood but as long as the cold spell is not too long they will get on with things. I think it was last year we had splits haul out some dead brood and starved a few bees but they recovered. Close call though but sometimes you just have to go with what you have at the time!

18. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

Thanks Iddee - I'll do that when I get home from school this afternoon - at least before it gets so cold tonight. I did poke some hay underneath the hives to keep that wind from blowing up their little skirts, but I will put a bottom in till this cold snap gets over with...\

When I plugged those entrances last night, I put my ear to the hive and heard just quiet humming going on...so I always think that is a good sign - guess I will find out in a week or so to see how things are going inside there -

19. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

I had some just right sized big bubble wrap I put underneath the hives up against the bottom board and plumped hay underneath to hold it up there and then took some cardboard boxes and propped them up to help keep the north wind off them. It was brutally cold here day before yesterday and the last 2 days have just been in the 60s but sunny so their hives should have warmed up nicely. I went out there today and saw a little activity outside the new splits and a lot of activity outside the main hives. I went out there just a bit ago and put my ear to the outside of the hives and can hear a "little hum" coming from them - so at least they are still alive..It's going to be hard to wait another week to see the status of those new queens I installed on Wednesday. :beg:

20. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

Well here we are again COLD weather. I prefer the cold over hot...any day, but I am getting tired of it being warm, then cold..enough winter for now! I am worried about my bees. I did put honey and pollen in my splits and I even put a pretty good sized chunk of pollen patty on each split (and my big hives) - and with the splits being so small, I worry that they may run out of food and starve out. I wanted to peek in there tomorrow (will be one week) to see if they are working (me not looking at frames) and have the queen out, but I can't because it's to be cold again. Now that puts me to Saturday and I am almost tempted to put a boardman feeder on them, but would that be a robbing problem even if I just have a one-bee space sized hole going to my hive? I can put an inner feeder on them, but that would mean opening up the hive and I don't want to do that but it would just be opening up the lid and putting it on top of the inner cover - not sure what to do here?