I need to feed but have a problem

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by rw02kr43, Aug 29, 2013.

1. rw02kr43

rw02kr43 New Member

I have 2 hives. One bottle feeder. Both need fed. I was using a plastic bag on one on the inner cover, then put a box around it. But now that box has frames in it. The bottle feeder also doesn't fit on this hive. What can I use to be able to feed both hives?

​Jason

2. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Use a jar with a dozen small holes punched in the lid and invert it over the hole in the inner cover. as long as the seal on the lid is in good shape the syrup should not create a robing problem from syrup being picked up at the rim. You can use a pail to cover the jar.

3. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Novel idea that. I made feeder jar migratory covers last April. I use them all summer. 3 inch hole drilled is perfect for a jar lid, staple #8 Hardware Cloth on the INSIDE of the opening, it helps support the jar and keep moths and shb out. Bees feed through it. I used 5/8 plywood and painted like crazy to keep it from peeling, they are finishing their 2nd season and holding up, but it doesn't rain here much.

4. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

You could get a piece of wood that is about 1 to 2 inches tall and about an inch wide. Cut it into four pieces and make a square. That will be a shim to allow the plastic bag feeding to continue. (or you can buy pre-made shims from bee supply companies).

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

or you can use a sealable plastic pail and do about the same thing as apisbee describes above. the trick on these is 2 or 3 very small holes <a 1/32 inch drill bit works just fine.

of if you have no other bees around a small quantity of syrup set out in a pot 20 or 30 feet away from you hive will also get the job done <this is often times referred to as 'pot feeding'.

6. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

Nothing wrong with open feeding if you're more than 3 miles from your nearest neighbor, but otherwise you're likely to contaminate someone's honey with sugar and encourage robbing at the same time. I use pickle jars just like Apisbees said. If your inner cover does not have a screened hole drilled into it, you can also just put the jar on top of two small pieces of wood on the inner cover. Then put an empty super on and the outer cover to keep other bees away.

7. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

You can use an entrance feeder on top of the inner cover, too.

entrance feeder.jpg