I Need to Move my Bees 30 Yards

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by lazy shooter, Sep 19, 2013.

1. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

Good Morning forum members: I worked at the ranch yesterday, and got home at evening twilight. My wife informed me that my bees, they are mine when they create a problem, had chased the yard mowing fellow around the house. He allowed that about 30 bees had started buzzing around his head on his last pass, and he had to drive to the far side of the house before they relented and left him. He has a diesel powered mower and his last pass was about 25 feet from the bees. They have never done this before. Although, I do know that one of my hives will stay with you a bit if they become aroused.

I have room to move them, as I own three surrounding the hives. I chose to move them 20 or 30 yards because that seems far enough back so that they won't bother my yard man or other guests, but at the same time they will be readily accessible to me. So, what is my best method of moving two hives 30 yards. Thanks for your replies.

Lazy

2. Lburou

Lburou Member

Hello young man! How about those Aggies!

Sounds like the hives now have some honey to protect. One solution is to mow in the dark, or to mow & edge around the hives while wearing a bee jacket, maybe even some smoke (this seems the simplest solution for the short term). I know you read a lot and have probably already seen Michael Bush's page about moving bees.

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

this time of the year the get a little more agressive. Moving the hive 30 yards will help as long as the mower doesnt get any closer. I bet the other hives will start acting up before long

4. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

5. Beeracuda

Beeracuda New Member

My hives have been pretty aggressive when I have tried to mow. I finally got me a real bee suit, fired up the smoker and got after it. I smoked all the hives before I started in the back yard where all the hives are and then smoked them as I went by. It was much, much easier to mow. I had a handful of bees following me around instead of having me and the mower literally covered up with bees like the time before.

As far as moving them goes, I moved one of my hives at night and had no problems. It was cooler at the time and they weren't bearding like they are now.

Are you getting any rain over there? If so, send it east!

6. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

My hives are both composed of two deep deep eight frame boxes. Due to the weight, I am going to have to move one box at a time. If I do this at night, will the bees eat me alive, or how do you move a two box colony? I've seen those fancy hive lifters or movers, and no, this hobbyist does not have one.

7. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

The one I'm moving now hasn't been any problem moving one box at a time. I've just lifted the top deep with inner cover and top cover in place and set it on a pallet. Then move the bottom deep and bottom board next. Once the bottom deep is in place, I set the other deep on top. Haven't had any problem but I'm only moving about 5 feet a day.

8. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

the small movement space is to allow the bees to to fan and keep the bees oriented to their hive and not drifting to another hive. when there are other hives in the vaccinate. Because by your pictures there are no other close hives you could move then farther and the bees would find the hive and not drift.
    the moving the hives a little each day is good for lets say you have 8 hives in close proximity to each other 2 to 6 ft apart now you want to move one hive 25 ft so it is on the other side of the bee yard. If you move it to far the foragers will return to the location and not finding the hive will search for it but if there are hives the bees could enter before the colony is attracted to there own from the queens pheromones being fanned from the hive entrance they will drift to other hives.
    Cause the Hive is alone the bees can travel further and the bees will stay with the colony.

9. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

hey lazy,
    what riverrat said, my bees up here in wisconnie get pretty snarky this time of year. with that said, my guy that mows, mows out about 10-15 feet from them otherwise he gets nailed, and this time of year, he might get nailed at that distance anyway. about this time of year, the lawn isn't being mowed because it's been so dry, but we keep up with weed whipping the weeds down off the fencer and a little beyond.

i don't have one of those fancy hive lifters either, but this is how i move a double deep hive (or in your case two) do this one at a time. grab an extra bottom board. back the truck up to the hive, or the 4 wheel trailer. (you could also use a heavy duty dolly or whatever you can move it with ...... set the new bottom board down with a ratchet strap on underneath. take off your outer cover, inner cover, lay them aside. take your top deep (2nd deep) and set it on the new bottom board. take your bottom deep (1st deep) and set it on top (so reverse order of what it was). put your inner cover and outer cover back on, ratchet strap the works down, or together. go your 30 yards with your original bottom board, put it in place. unratchet, remove your deeps, one at a time, and they will be in the original order. go back for the 2nd hive and repeat the process.

as far as the time of day? i usually try to move bees early or late in the day, and not at night this way. also, you will have bees in the air. just suit up, take your time, and work methodically, bees will follow you, or will follow along (their home), to a certain degree.

hope i made sense, hope this helps :grin:

10. Lburou

Lburou Member

Lazy, I'll bring someone with me when we change the queens out next week (on four different hives). If you will block the entrances like we did the day you took the hives, two of us can carry the hives to the new location the next morning. How about that?

11. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

That sounds like a good plan. WILCO

12. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

very cool lee! you guys, i wish you well ! and of course lazy, looking for an update when you get the move done !...........:grin:

13. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

If I have to move a full deep hive I use extra flat boards that are clean and hive sized, set the top box on a board with no exit for the bees, leaving the lid on. Then use an extra lid or flat board for a lid on the bottom box and move it. You can shove a piece of screening in the entrance first. Smoke is also good but not excessive, they are unventilated during the move. I'm usually going about half a block but leaving a box behind for stragglers. If a box is too heavy to move full, 15 lb per frame of honey, I move 5 frames to a nuc with a flat bottom board and a lid, seal up the other 5 in the box I am moving, and reassemble when I get there. I've been keeping bees solo without someone to help lift for a couple of years now, and I have a lot of extra equipment.

Never mind, Lee's got you covered. But now you know how to do it solo if you must.