Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
plastic foundation for the shallow size. is that correct? if so i can add 1'' to box to make it a medium! would that take the beating of the hive tool on that 1'' strip . i was planing on glueing and using 2'' brads..

·
Registered
967 Posts
Re: i picked up a bunch of of shallows and found out i cant

You could easily cut ,a strip off wider foundation to make it work but adding the one inch strips and making the boxes into mediums would give more capacity.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

thats what i was thinking.. but will that 1'' strip hold up?

·
Registered
586 Posts

I think it would. Titebond III will form a bond stronger than the wood itself. I've glued boards together in the past and the board will fail before the glue does. So if you want to go to the trouble, I think it will work fine. Might not hurt to clamp the strips to the box before using the brads either.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

yep Jim.. bought a gallon of titebond lll this week for 20.99 could not believe the price...

·
Registered
68 Posts

I believe Brushy Mountain cuts down and sells medium plastic foundation that fits into shallows.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts

Looks like they ought to work. What kind of wood did you use? If you could lay your hands on some scrap hardwood-that would be the route to go. Oak would really stand up to hive tool abuse.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts