I Quit!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Papakeith, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

Today is my anniversary of quitting smoking.

[​IMG]

and that's at 4$ a pack. They are up to 8 - 10 dollars a pack up here these days

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

You've got me by 4 months. I smoked my last one Oct. 31, 1998.

3. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

Then you have me by two years! :)

4. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Good for you papa!

5. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

Awesome! Papa Keith!....
    January 2009 for me... Steve is "almost" quit, down to 1 or 2 a day - I told him keep trying...

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Yep. My poor math....................

7. pturley

pturley New Member

The day before I quit, I was smoking two packs a day, after smoking for more than ten years.

I had quit hundreds of times before and wasn't successful with it until I finally got mad about it. Two things/thoughts were primary motivations:

One: It's just a dried up leaf wrapped in paper and it was capable of defeating my self-resolve in quitting earlier. I had even lost my mother to lung cancer a few years earlier (in my early 20s), but despite this I still couldn't overcome the cravings...

Two: There is some "fat-cat" tobacco executive somewhere making decisions to intentionally manipulate the amount of nicotine and ammonia in the tobacco in order to increase the levels of addiction in order to ensure their profit margins.
    The ammonia alkylizes the nicotine, creating a "free-base" form of the natural plant acids.
    It's this second one that REALLY pissed me off... ... and still does! Even now, more than 18 years later!

The strategy I used was this.

ONE:
    Spend a stupid amount of money on a mountain bike, then hang it directly at the foot of my bed with the reciept tucked into a picture frame on the wall directly next to it. This forced me to ride it! As I got fit, I didn't want to loose this feeling of being fit and capable!

TWO:
    I accepted the fact that nicotine is an additive substance, and that I was addicted and I would need a means of eliminating this addiction. However I would refuse to support those executives that worked so capriciously to manipulate my behavior.

If once in a while, I legitimately couldn't take it, literally was going nuts wanting a "dose", I could allow myself to endulge on a preset schedule with a strictly prescribed means of OVERSATISFYING that addiction.

The ONLY allowable means of administering the nicotine would be with a hand-rolled, natural leaf cigar no smaller than an standard size, costing no less than $30 per cigar! Add to that, I resolved that if I was to smoke a cigar, that I WOULD FINISH THE ENTIRE THING before setting it down. It became a "Shot-gun blast" type of dosing so to speak!

The schedule was not more than once per week for the first 6 months, then as wanted after that...

After a while, I found myself less and less justified in spending this sort of money on something that I found myself craving less and less. Natural leaf tobacco really isn't all that addictive, I was able to wean myself off my cravings for cigarettes. I can take it of leave it now. But I did learn to enjoy a truely great hand-rolled cigar.

Most of the time now, tobacco smoke is offensive to me. Every once in while, EVEN STILL, I catch a whiff of smoke and sometime think about how good tobacco smoke smells. But the smell is now associated with a high end cigar, not a 20 cent cigarette!

I took the time to type this out as I hope that SOMEONE, ANYONE might find a tip or suggestion in this that might help THEM quit as well! Yes, this still gets an emotional response from me! A long time ago, I turned it into ANGER toward those tobacco execs. I have no intention of letting that go.

8. CeeGee

CeeGee New Member

Congats all! (April 21, 2007 for me.)

Papa - KILLER site re: $ saved

Pturley - you got that right about the fatcat execs.!! That was something that wound me up, too. I decided to spend my money elsewhere if I just had to spend it - upright bass and my first bees. (So one could say that bees are the result of quitting cigs). I'm glad you wrote all that out, and keep the anger alive!

9. riverrat

riverrat New Member

congrats on your mile stone. More oney for Bugs:thumbsup:

10. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

Thanks all.
    No money spent on bugs today. Instead, today I picked up another dozen pullets for the flock. With Dad going to the farmer's markets I can't keep up with demand.

I quit on a bet with five others. after one day I was the only one left. I couldn't collect until one year had passed with me being smoke free.

In the past 12 years I've spent money on bikes, barns, planes, guns, chickens, rc planes and helicopters, and of course. . .BEEs! None of that would have happened without putting down the cigs.

11. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Hang in there, you've got it whipped after being off them that long.:thumbsup: I quit in 1966, my baby girl crawled over to the end table by the recliner i was in, and picked the pack of cigaretts off of it. I looked at her and thought to myself, my little girl may smoke when she gets older, but it won't be because dad did. I never touched another one, and i was working two jobs and smoking 3 to 4 packs aday. ( they were .25 cents a pack then, and .15 cents a pack at the PX when i was in the service)) Neither of my children have ever smoked, so maybe i did something right. Jack

12. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

A big thumbs up to all of you that have that habit behind you.
    Everybody has a story and what worked for them. If you smoke, keep trying to quit. It will happen.

After 20 years of smoking, I quit in 1995. Cold turkey. Took it 1 minute at a time at first. It got better so I took it one hour at a time. You know the rest of the story. For months I carried an open pack and a lighter with me. I never wanted that panicky feeling and I never had it. I threw the open pack away when I realized I had forgotten it was there and that they were too stale to smoke. What helped me with the cravings were doing deep breathing exercises until the craving past. Some of the deepest breaths I took, as a smoker, were the first few puffs on a cigarette. I just substituted clean air.

13. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Congrats to all who have made the difficult leap. While I never relly smoked cigs at all, I did partake in a period where I indulged in cigars (colts). At over a dollar a pop it wasn't long before I realized that it was an expensive way to ruin my health.

Jack - 3 to 4 packs a day! :shock: :shock: :shock:

14. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Congratulations to all the "quitters"! :thumbsup:

In the mid-90's the company I worked for near Rochester, NY decided that on February 15 all buildings would be smoke free. Whenever I decided I needed a cigarette, I'd just look at the people outside in the freezing weather, huddled in corners to protect them from the cold, having their smokes. It did the trick. :yahoo:

Walt