I raised a few eyebrows this afternoon

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Slowmodem, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

The "bent can" store has a two-day special: 4-lb. bag of sugar for $1.29. That is dirt cheap. I went by to see about getting some, but the shelves were empty. I asked the manager if they were getting some more. She said they had sold 3 pallets of sugar in the first few hours they were open this morning. I told her I wanted to buy 100 bags (400 lbs). I thought her jaw was going to hit the floor. She said she didn't know if they'd be getting any more. I'll check again tomorrow. I told her that if she can get me some, I'll surely buy it. We'll see. ::fingers crossed::

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Whenever it's on sale up here, I raise a few eyebrows as I go through the checkout with a shopping cart with 30 bags in it? I annoy my wife when I do this because I also usually ask where the closest place to get some copper line is. :lol: She also feels the need to explain why I'm buying all the sugar. :dontknow:

3. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I got 300 lbs at Costco a few weeks back and pulled the same line about needing a big copper kettle.

4. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I just get 50 lbs at a time at costco, I don't trust store brand sugar unless it says 'pure cane' anymore.

5. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I always throw a couple packages of yeast in with the sugar for kicks

6. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

Will bees not eat sugar produced from beets?

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I believe so, but the impurities in it are difficult for them to expel. Same as HFCS.
    (I may be wrong)

8. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I got another bag of sugar at Costco yesterday that wasn't in the old plastic bag. It was in a brown paper bag with Cargill on it. Looked at the plant it came from and it's a cane sugar refinery in Gramercy, LA. The old white plastic bags were probably beet sugar.