I robbed my cutout hive yesterday.

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Gypsi, May 18, 2012.

1. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Between starting in 3 mediums with comb rubber-banded into frames, the great failed checkerboard attempt, followed by having a deep stuck on top, and they had bridged the broodnest 2 stories on the north side of the hive....

They needed comb cleaned up before it got worse. When I hit a bit of honey, I ran for a bucket. Now all their comb is in a deep, which is under a medium super with empty plasticell frames. (to teach them about straight). I didn't see a lot of brood but I did see some. They were backfilling the broodnest with honey possibly, didn't see a lot of definite young brood or eggs. Capped drone and worker brood, some open brood maybe on the same frame or it could have been honey too.

One frame of honeycomb that wasn't tied in well by the bees landed in my honey bucket. I do hope it isn't brood, but it is too late to find out. I couldn't see eggs, and my glasses are pretty good...

I ate some fresh comb with nectar and pollen yesterday, to see if my allergies get better. Just a little bit. It was pretty tasty.. (not as good as honey - but kind of lemony / fruity)

Gypsi

2. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Lemony? YOu been feedin honey B healthy? I get that taste from burr/honeycomb cleaned out of the brood boxes. Jim

3. Gypsi

No. Hadn't been feeding anything. i think it was pollen that tasted fruity lemony. It was powdery.

4. Gypsi

I didn't do a perfect job of getting all the comb where it started from, since I took all of the frames from 2 boxes, bottom medium and top deep, and kind of fishing lined the comb into deep frames, filling the bottom deep. then I put an empty medium super with plasticell foundation on top for them to fill out. Ended up with some empty comb and a decent sized dual sided honey comb for harvest. (and the pollen which definitely wasn't impressive tasting to my crew who sampled it, but it did clear up one helper's allergies instantly...)

Did I do OK? Probably killed 10 white larva cutting comb apart where it bridged the boxes, other than that bee losses were pretty minimal. About 10 in the honey bucket. A lid is a wonderful thing.