I Smell a Rat

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Oct 16, 2011.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

When checking one of my bee yards 60 miles away i found a hive (a single deep)that i thought was a little lite and the hive about 20ft. away had a med. super of honey to spare. So i took it off and shook all but a dozen or so bees out of it and put it on the lite hive and worked the rest of the hives. Before i left i checked it and all looked normal, well when i went back up two weeks later (last Friday) they were robbed out. It was a strong hive i started from a split this summer and i had a entrance reducer on it. I'm thinking the bees that i left in the super from the other hive went back to there hive and told(doing their little dance) them where their honey was and they brought it back home? What do you think :confused: There are 7 other hives in that yard. Jack

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I think you are right, except if you had not left a dozen there, I think the home hive would have followed the scent and robbed it anyway.

3. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

That hive was either going to defend itself, or it was not. I know you said it was a strong hive. So I question why they could not of protected the colony, regardless of placing on a super.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I think Jack that sometimes the robbers are doing us a favor in eliminating hives that are inevitable going to perish anyway.

5. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Bjornbee, the hive the honey super came from, was a two deep and two med. on top full of honey and bees from top to bottom.(twice as strong) It tends to be the meanness one in the yard also. Your right Iddee, i should have known better. Your right to tec., might as well store the drawn comb now than later.I fed some here at home yesterday and had a top feeder leaking and syrup runing down the side of a hive, well the robbing started (15 hives in this yard). I ran a garden hose down to them, and set one of those twirling sprinklers next to the hive being robbed, (i had changed the leaking top feeder) it put a stop to the robbing and washed the syrup off the side of the hive. :thumbsup:Everything normal today. Jack

6. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Scared me figured if you could smell me in missouri the little wifey was going to make me clean up a bit. :thumbsup: