I think I have gone off the deep end!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Beeracuda, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Beeracuda

Beeracuda New Member

We took a short beekeeping course last year. I bought a video and a book after that. I ordered catalogs. I've watched numerous youtube videos. I ordered my hive kits and a nuc of bees. I joined this forum. We signed up for an all day beekeeping course next weekend. I bought another book and watched more videos. What else can happen???

Well today, not even having my first hive of bees, I ordered my second hive kit and a package of bees! :grin:

I was too late to get another nuc, but it will be interesting to see how the package does against the nuc. So now I get to put another hive together and my GF gets to do more painting (She loves that stuff...I just don't understand.)

We both can't wait to get started! Three weeks away from our first bees!!

2. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

:thumbsup: so you have an obsession??? bees anonymous...right here.....:lol:

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

welcom to our addiction:thumbsup:

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

5. Omie

Omie New Member

Beeracuda, I think you did the smart thing, actually. :)

6. Beeracuda

Beeracuda New Member

I think that looks more like a job than just a fun past time with extra benefits. :grin:

I think I did too. After everything thing I have read here, I think I am better off with two. I feel like I will learn twice as much!

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip...
    We signed up for an all day beekeeping course next weekend.

tecumseh...
    if this is the bee school in Brenham I will look forward to meeting up with you at the Washington County Fairgrounds.

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Listening to the excitement in Beeracudas post gets my blood rushing. :grin:
    2 hives is absolutely the best way to start, and being able to compare package versus nuc is something I have never done so you will be one up on me there. :thumbsup:

9. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I'm excited for you too! I was there last year. And, the excitement is still here the second season, if not stronger!

10. Beeracuda

Beeracuda New Member

We will be there! I am looking forward to meeting you too!

Your post is the first one I saw that recommended two hives and got me to thinking about going that way.

I have great hopes for this year and I am sure the second year will be better!

11. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Welcome Beeracuda, hope your girl friend doesn't get jealous when you start paying more attention to the new girls.:lol: Jack

12. hlhart2001

hlhart2001 New Member

Welcome Beeracuda..don't worry your girlfriend will get used to it..my hubby has(although he got to buy a canoe and I got a second beehive)...very nice group of people here. The first year was quite a learning curve with just one hive, but this year I ordered two nucs and am raring to get them into their hives. Have fun!

13. litefoot

litefoot New Member

Beeracuda, good for you! Get a log book and write down everything you observe and everything you learn; here and elsewhere. Have your GF take photos while you're packaging the bees. Get her a veil or jacket so she can get in there with you. Last year I had only one hive, one jacket and no log book; which I consider my worst first-year beekeeping mistakes. Good luck!!:thumbsup:

14. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Congratulations. What a fun time looking forward to bringing the "little ones" home. Definitely two hives is a plus and not really much more chore than one. Get the extra suit for sure. Share the fun and it really often is handy to have the extra hands and eyes. My wife is times better at spotting the queens than I am.

15. Zulu

Zulu Member

Yep Perry only about 3 months of winter left for you, till the bees start flying again...:lol:

16. Zulu

Zulu Member

Sorry for my small highjack,

.... sounds like you are going about it the right way

17. Beeracuda

Beeracuda New Member

She will right out there in the middle of everything.

She bought her gloves and veil yesterday when I was picking up the second hive. I've got a log book, too!

We already have two sets of coveralls, so I think we are set!

We almost came away with a lot more equipment than I counted on. I backed up to the dock at Dadant yesterday, paid out and started loading everything they had there. I thought it sure looked like more than I got the first time. Well, the person that pulled the order, pulled cases of 5 of everything instead of 1!

Everyone had gone back to the office to finish up lunch, so I pulled everything out of the Jeep and went back and got someone to show them what they had done. They were appreciative and then the guy going over the stuff noted that I didn't buy all the foundation I needed.

So back to the office, another credit card charge later and off we were. We did get a cool picture after we left, too.

2013-03-16141003_zpse49834e0.jpg

18. bamabww

bamabww New Member

Honesty is always the best policy. Good luck and I look forward to seeing some pictures of your adventure.

19. litefoot

litefoot New Member

I like you already. However, if I was running things at Dadant that day, the second credit card swipe wouldn't have happened.

20. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Beeracuda, forget Dadant's "non-reward" for your honesty. Pray that "The judge up above" will reward you with a nice crop of honey. :grin: