I think I need to do a false swarm on a nuc

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by reidi_tim, Jun 10, 2012.

1. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

The nuc I started because I thought on of my hives ( the ferrel bees ) was queen less on an inspection last month so I got a replacement queen . When I was putting a new queen in that hive , I found uncapped brood and eggs (and found the queen cups at the top of the frames). So in my haste I had a queen when I ordered a replacement queen. So I made the best I could of the situation and took a frame each from my other two hives and did a split. Last week which was two weeks after the split they had drawn out another 2 frames, so my thought was to move them to a ten frame this weekend. When I checked them out today they only had half a frame on drawn, and at least 10 queen cells capped. So I know that the queen cells are not over 7 days old, the question is can I wait till next week end to pull the queen and do a split or should I do it asap?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Since they cap a queen cell on the 8th or 9th day, you DO NOT have a 7 day old capped queen cell. Any queen cells that are capped were there a week ago. You just didn't see them.

3. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

I glad you can so quickly show me what I have missed Iddee, :thumbsup:eish how many mistakes can I make my first year ( 4 months down 8 to go ). So I did a split took the queen and two frames and started another nuc. I was looking at the hive that this queen was to go in and noticed that on the 1st ten deep it is mostly full of honey from where they where not raising brood. So by putting the 2nd deep on with only foundation there is still not a lot of open cells for the queen to lay in. I looked to see if I could rod a frame with some open cells from the other hives but they are pretty well full. All I can think of is to take a couple of frames and extract the honey to give the queen some room to lay:???:

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

You can do that (extract a couple frames) or if in a pinch, just add a frame or two of foundation and let them draw it out.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Checkerboard a few of the frames between the first and second boxes. They will draw out the foundation soon enough for her to lay in. She will lay in a cell 1/4 in. drawn and they will complete it before the larva needs it.