I think I saw a Queen

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by skrapper, Aug 21, 2014.

1. skrapper

skrapper New Member

The other day(Aug. 20, 2014) I think I saw a Queen leaving the hive. She was long and skinny. None of the other bees were paying any attention to her. The hive is a Warre' that I started early May. The hive has been very busy and by tapping on the boxes it sounds like 2 boxes are full. The third box doesn't sound as solid as the top two. The bottom box sound hollow. All summer the bees have been very gentle I could sit in a chair a couple feet from the entrance and the bees would just fly over my shoulder on their trips in and out. Last week I was stung so I moved the chair back to 6 ft. away. This morning I was stung again and was chased a short distance. Is the change in attitude plus seeing a maiden Queen leave a sign of overcrowding and a pending swarm?

2. camero7

camero7 Member

No, this time of year bees become more protective of the hive and the guard bees are more vigilant.

3. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

If you did see the queen leave the hive. It is to late the hive has already swarmed or superseded. Keeping bees in a Warre hive it is impossible to do a proper inspection to tell what is going on in the hive.

4. skrapper

skrapper New Member

That's what I was afraid of. I know it's hard to judge what's going on inside with out looking in. I've visited the hive almost everyday and there never seemed to be a decrease in entrance activity, only a rapid increase just before and since I saw the queen leave. The hive seems to be buzzing right along and I'm not prepared to deal with a swarm this season. I didn't think I'd have a swarm until next spring.