I think I'm getting the shaft...

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by jwsbees, Mar 22, 2015.

1. jwsbees

jwsbees New Member

Hey all, just curious if this has happened to anyone here. I got an email from my package supplier around the first of March. First thing I thought I was buying local Virginia bees from a local apiary in Spotsylvania Va.... This memo said they would ship my bees from Georgia when they picked up the packages for the store pickup. We would be getting tracking information the day before shipping. Nothing, not a word. Called the guy, " oh, I remember shipping them to you I'll send the tracking information " nothing again. I thought this guy was reputable. Looks like I may be trying to find bees late in the season. I had a guy mess me up last year too. ....venting!!!
    Anyone have any suggestions???

2. jkittle99

jkittle99 New Member

I don't know the exact package shipping schedules, but I'm first in line for packages in Ohio (also coming from GA) and I dont get mine for about 2 more weeks.

3. Walt B

Walt B Active Member

When I want packages or queens, I get them from a couple of people in Navasota and College Station, TX. Just drive a 60 or so miles south and pick them up.

Walt

4. jwsbees

jwsbees New Member

Wow, buyer beware!!! I found that this guy has been torn to prices on beesource and BBB sites. Same complaints. Crappy customer service and dead and missing bees. I know it is good business to get orders paid up front. But, you need to be prepared to deal with problems quickly when things go bad. Either this guy is in so far over his head or he just doesn't care. That said, it still doesn't get me any bees this year. I told my wife that we will probably be taking an early spring vacation in Georgia next spring. There is a fellow in Lula that we all know, I'd love to have his small cell bees and I'd drive that far to get them!!!

5. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

I dont buy anymore cant trust what you even get, no clue where the queens come from, they buy from queens from someplace then dump bees in a box hang the queen cage and away it goes, no thankyou, my 1st 15 nucs I started are moving into full size hives right now, I know I take a chance open mating queens in florida but I pull larva frames from my best hives and most turn out better then I could have hoped for, I plan on doing 60 nucs this year.

6. jwsbees

jwsbees New Member

I want to get to that point sometime. But you need to get started someplace. I am hoping to catch some swarms and introduce good feral stock. However I don't have a lot of faith in catching them. I have never seen a bee tree here or a swarm.

7. Ray

Ray Member

Good Luck!
    Starting out is a real pain. I've been starting out for 3 years now. First year I thought I had it figured out, that winter was great all three made it and I caught a swarm. A lot of 'should have done" the second summer, then brutal winter and lost all but one hive. Third year went for broke bought 10 packages and this winter lost 5 of 11.
    Now (maybe) I'm experienced enough to persevere.

8. jwsbees

jwsbees New Member

Starting out IS a real pain! But nothing worthwhile is ever easy!!! Seems like the fellow is going to try and make my package purchase right in his second shipment in April.... Hope so... I am working with a ten year plan in mind though. So far lots of goof ups and roadblocks. First year, wrong equipment and no bees. Second year, right equipment, hopefully get bees. Granted, not the bees I wanted but I hope that they (we) can adapt. I know I will be getting 5.4 mm bees that came from a commercial operation. In other words, medicated. I am starting them out foundation less to begin a regression. I won't be using chemicals on them either. I hope I can get them to survive. Oh, the ten year goal? Minimum fifty hives.

9. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

lotsa hair pulling and kicking at the dirt but its worth while, Im at 70 hives in 3 years and now raising my own nucs and also no chems in the hives.

10. jwsbees

jwsbees New Member

Zookeep, you have a pile of money tied up in this too!!! I admire your spirit! You have made it to a point where you can be self reliant.

11. GothamCityBees

GothamCityBees New Member

We just picked up a load of about 100 packages of bees and a bunch of queens at Mann Lake's PA location in Wilkes Barre PA last Saturday.
    The bees and queens are from Olivarez in California, and we will never buy another package from the Southeast again after 2 years of the Olivarez bees.
    The consensus among the group is that they are superior in every possible way, and there is no nonsense - the packages are in good shape very very few dead bees.
    Worth the drive, in my view.
    So get on 81, and keep going North for a bit. :)

12. jwsbees

jwsbees New Member

I was thinking just that. It is a couple of hours up the road but I haven't heard anything bad about the bees coming from the almond crops. They should be well fed.

13. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

I picked up 4 packages from the same Mann Lake load in Wilkes-Barrie and transported them to my home in Alabama (I work in NW Jersey). I am very, very happy with them. Plus, the p/u was about 3 weeks earlier than Georgia packs would have been ready.

14. Beeman95

Beeman95 New Member

I got bees from Mann Lake back on the 4th. Very nice bees. Better than anything I have gotten from Georgia.

15. jwsbees

jwsbees New Member

Well, the guy told me he would catch me on his second shipment. That is supposed to be today. Haven't heard boo... Supposed to get a tracking number. I have no idea how this guy stays in business. I've gotten better customer support from Walmart. When this is over I will try and never buy bees again. If I do it will be from someone reputable like Mann Lake.

16. jwsbees

jwsbees New Member

Well, finally, looks like they are on their way. Should be here today. Now I can can this thread and move on. Stuff like this is enough to make you rethink what you're doing. I know this will be worth the efforts in the long run... I think we have enough issues with out this kind of stuff though...