I want some Chickens!

Discussion in 'The Rural Life' started by Eddy Honey, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Jack, I know what would have happened at my house. Did that goat taste good?

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm Active Member

Gypsi, Billy was a Alpine (ears straight up) and he loved moms, Aunt Lottie, and the neighbors flower gardens.:roll: He followed me everywhere i went like a dog, when people seen me coming they would run out with a rope and tell me to tie billy up.:lol:
    Iddee, Billy came out okay, they thought i showed him how to do it. My tailend was a little warm at suppertime, but i was kind of use to that. :grin: Jack

3. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Miz Goat (formerly Bonnie, but I have a neighbor named Bonnie so she needed a name change) also has a taste for flowerbeds, and really really likes my black raspberry vines, but I tell her no and redirect her to the weeds and she may be learning English.

My young trees will be growing taller canopies of branches as the lower ones have all been pruned. My shrubs and roses all need a bit of pruning anyway, so I just aim the goat and she handles it, lol.

4. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

I don't have a problem with Killing gutting cleaning skinning. it is what is fed to them that is disturbing. In B.C. we've had to live thru the Willy Pickton sage, trial, inquest, annual memorial. It makes you question what we eat.

5. Gypsi

A google search of Willy Pickton does indeed produce a lot of gruesome reading which I will not share, but yes, I can see why you might question what you eat...

(I'm just trying to avoid GMO's - but my chickens are doubtless getting some GMO corn in their feed. About to move the compost pile to the backyard, my compost is safer I think. Mainly dead waterlilies and lots of worms and bugs.)

6. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Gypsi, bugs we like bugs and worms. I feed worms to fish and then eat the fish. How many bees do chickens eat? I've seen the occasional banty go after the bees but the big birds couldn't hop the fence.

7. Gypsi

I've been raising mealy worms for the hens, but I fall behind on mealy worm maintenance and one day could lose the colonies to lack of moisture.

Chickens definitely like bugs and worms.

8. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

my chickens spend a good portion of their day in the manure pile scratching for goodies

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Goodies??????? :rolling:

10. Ray

Ray Member

If you want to get rich, come up with a breed of chicken that really loves to eat Rose Bugs or Potato Bugs. I've been around lots of chickens and haven't seen any that would eat more that a few of those kind of bugs.

11. Gypsi

what's a rose bug or a potato bug?

12. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Forget rose bugs and potato bugs---get chickens that eat the larvae and pupae of the Small Hive Beetles.

13. oblib

oblib New Member

Pretty sure they already will. But, you need to have your hives on some kind of pad that gives the chickens a chance at them before they get buried in the soil.

14. Gypsi

Chickens absolutely already eat shb and wax moth larva and pupae. My hens are my cleanup crew if a hive goes south.

15. Noronajo

Noronajo New Member

What about squash bugs- I hate those ugly buggers!

16. Ray

Ray Member

A Rose Bug is called a Rose Chafer Beetle
    A Potato Bug is called a Colorado Potato Beetle

17. Walt B

Walt B Active Member

My wife ordered some more black Australorps today for April pick-up. Looking forward to watching the little girls as they grow up and become "big ladies".

Walt

18. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Does anyone else have a chicken going through molt right now? The rest of the flock molted in early November but my buff orpington is losing her feathers now.

IMG_2925.jpg

19. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Is she being picked on by the other birds? some times bullying can look like molting.

20. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Yes. I noticed one of them picking on her today I just can't believe they could do that to her. THe scuffle only lasts a few seconds and then she'll leave and they don't bother her. I thought it was because she had bare skin showing. They seem to leave her alone now that my daughter made a chicken sweater for her to wear and all the bare spots are covered lol.
    The flock (13 birds) stay in the barn in a horse stall until there new 8x12 coop arrives. I added 2 heat lamps since it got in the teens and single digits last week and she and a few others spend alot of time under them.
    I'll keep an eye on her.
    I know she has stopped laying.