i was asked to sell my honey at a farmers market but i only have a few frames that

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by adamant, May 12, 2012.

1. adamant

adamant Member

i was asked by the owner of the market when was i going to start to package honey. i told him out of all my honey supers i probably have only 10 or so frames that are capped and ready..
    do i have to wait till the suppers are full to pull frames so i can process ? its all mediums! how much honey can i get from one medium frame?
    i never did this before but i don't think it would be worth it to dirty the extractor for 10 frames! i have a max ant 20 frame unit!

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I have the same problem with customer and folks running the farmer's market here. I have come to tell both sets of folks that I bring honey to the market first when the honey is ready and secondly when I am ready. The economics of high fuel cost also means showing up with one or two bottles is not very financially rewarding. One or two buckets to bottle is quite often the minimum volume of honey required for me to clean up ahead of and behind the bottling process.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

One quart per medium is an average yield. Yes, you can harvest by the frame rather than the box. How many frames before it is worthwhile is up to the beek.

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I must be missing something here? I get a five gallon bucket of strained honey out of two med. supers (20 quarts). I sold it last year at the farmers market for $13.25 a quart and $13.00 from home. A med. 10 frame super should produce 30 lbs. of strained honey. Jack

5. tommyt

tommyt New Member

I am close to Brook
    I think Iddee may have hit the wrong key
    Edited to say
    Iddee was correct :thumbsup:
    I misread the post:|
    Iddee did not

as to the poster If your holding off due to using the extractor
    I would do it! The honey left in extractor will keep till you sling again

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I reread the post, i'm with you now.:grin: i thought iddee was saying one quart per super? Jack

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I quart per frame! :wink:

When I was first asked to join the farmers market I wanted to get there as early in the year as possible and started pulling frames of honey individually out of honey supers, While it got me to the market early, I ended up extracting 4 times that season. Won't do that again. Twice maybe, get the "summer" honey and then again in the late summer/early fall.

8. adamant

adamant Member

perry: why? to much work? i never extracted! if i can get a decent amount then it seems worth wild to get everything out.

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The OP asked...... ""how much honey can i get from one medium frame?""

That's the question I answered.

Maybe someone didn't read the question correctly. :shock:

10. bee stung

bee stung New Member

One quart per medium is an average yield.
    and what is the
    average yield.of a small frame

11. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

so then a full 9 inch frame should yield just under a quart and a half? is this correct?

12. bamabww

bamabww New Member

I've never thought to break it down like that Iddee. But you're right, with 8 frames I got just a tad over two gallons of honey. That was so simple I don't know why or how I didn't figure that out. Thanks for "turning the light on" for me Iddee.

13. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

For me it was not a simple matter of putting the extractor away until the next round. There is a lot of clean up, scratcher/knife, uncapping tray, strainers, etc. when you're done. Honey drippings everywhere, propolis stuck to kitchen faucets, trust me, it happens.
    I don't know about anyone else but extracting honey can be a messy job, and when you are doing it in the wife's kitchen, it better be clean when you're done or you won't be doing it there again!

14. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a Perry snip..
    I don't know about anyone else but extracting honey can be a messy job, and when you are doing it in the wife's kitchen, it better be clean when you're done or you won't be doing it there again!

tecumseh:
    I have never met anyone that didn't make a mess extracting honey and the old ways of squeeze and strain even made a worse mess.

15. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

How about not selling it as extracted honey but cutting it out and packaging it as comb honey. Doesn't it fetch a much higher price? (after all, then you need to rebuild your combs)

16. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Cutting comb out of frames is messy also, just ask my wife.:grin: I extract in the basement, when i say i'm going to extract honey, the Dollar store profit goes up selling dropcloth and ductape .My wife covers the floor, walls,and anything within 10 ft. of my extracting. When i'm through for the day i'm ask (not told) to take my shoes and clothes off before coming up stairs, and if i didn't mind,and please go straight to the shower before i set down on the furniture. It's nice being the King of the castle and your subject doing the thinking for you.:thumbsup: Jack

17. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

and thus is reveal to you the primary trick for decades of married bliss....

18. Cape Fear Bees

Cape Fear Bees New Member

one 10 frame super of comb honey can add 2 dollars of jar value to 72 jars, so... yea cut some out. But we wouldnt make nearly as much if we had to rely on foundation. As to slinging it green, we have a dehumidifier and fans. Advice on dehumidifiers, you can run them to keep SHB down, but the honey is harder to extract the drier it is. Conversely you can sling it, stack the wet supers, put a fan across the buckets or barrels, crank the dehumidifier down, and suck the water out. It works really well over a 100 degrees, down in the high 80s in can take a couple days.
    Short answer Yes you can extract, no you cannot jar it without a couple hundred more dollars in capital.

19. adamant

adamant Member

Up date: I ran into them again and they asked me when I can being some and I told them that I will try by the end of the month!

This is what's happening.

I keep bees for free at there farm and don't charge for pollination. They have a retail market there that they offered me counter space at no charge and 100% of the sales goes back to me. The honey is labelled "honey harvested from XYZ's farm by beekeeper _ _ _ _. So they loved the idea of honey packaged from there farm. I keep no bees anywhere else and I have 10 hives that are on there second year which each of them consists of 2 deep brood boxes and one 9 frame medium honey super s that are mostly (give or take) 7 frames full of capped honey(probably a high estimate) and a 9 frame honey super on top of them that has not been drawled out yet. So I think I have at leased 25 frames that I can harvest! I never harvested honey and I am new.
    I have a 20 frame maxant extractor and there bottling tank. I just don't want to get all of that equipment out and find out that I should have waited till I had more honey to harvest! Also knowing the top honey super is not draw ned out, I did not want to screw the bees up.

So that's the situation! What would you do?

20. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Go through and find 20 frames of fully, or better than 90%, capped frames. Harvest them and mis-match frames until you have removed 2 supers. Either extract them immediately or freeze them for 2 to 3 days. Bring their temp up to about 90 F. and extract. 20 medium frames will balance the extracter to reduce wobbling and will yield approx. 5 gallon of honey. "60 lb." Bottle it in 1 lb. or smaller containers, using different size and shape containers.

Just my .02.