IAPV

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by camero7, Mar 11, 2017.

1. camero7

camero7 Member

Here is a report about IAPV in hives. I'm not sure how many northern beekeepers but we have been experiencing abnormal losses of bees this winter... I've lost about 40% BTW- I'm in the Worcester area.

To answer your question: IAPV was detected as part of bee samples taken from colonies in Worcester and Harwich. Please note that not all the bees from these samples were found to be infected with IAPV.

"A little background on IAPV. It was discovered in Israel in 2004 and prematurely and wrongly thought to be a major cause of CCD (Cox-Foster et al., 2007). The virus may infect all stages and castes of honey bees. The parasitic mite, Varroa destructor, is an active vector of this virus as well as many others, thus the best method to prevent associated infections is to create an intensive IPM program for Varroa mite control in all honey bee colonies within an apiary. The effects of IAPV include progressive paralysis, weakening and death. This mainly occurs in colonies during the Summer/Fall when the Varroa mite levels are at their peak along with the colony population (brood) levels. In addition to feeding from Varroa mites, IAPV is also transmitted vertically from the queen to progeny. Given this, you could also consider re-queening a colony immediately if you suspect infection of this virus.

The best method to combat IAPV (and foster overall healthy honey bees) is to practice good husbandry and best management practices (see the Mass Beekeepers document for more info: http://www.mass.gov/eea/docs/agr/pro...p/bee-bmps.pdf) and perform IPM protocols to manage for Varroa mites. I have attached a brochure that we created to assist beekeepers in making good decisions about Varroa mite control. Please review and consider sampling your colony monthly to determine your mite level and then consider the available treatment options for further action."