Ideas on Swarming

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Mar 21, 2012.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I like finding swarm cells during a honey flow:thumbsup:. This usually means the hive is strong and crowded. If they haven't already swarmed i will look in the lower brood box for the queen. The workers will slim her down (cut her feed down) so she can fly,i will put her in a five frame nuc with two or three frames of brood, a frame of honey and the rest foundation or drawn comb.I like to leave two queen cells in the mother hive(you can leave just one), and cut the others out to put one on a frame of brood from other strong hives along with two more frames of brood in five frame nuc's, depending on how many queen cells you find, you can start several nuc's if you want more hives or sell them when they get queen right.:thumbsup:

While the mother hive is waiting for their new queen to hatch and start laying (30 days or so) i will put empty supers on top, (1 if foundation, 2 if drawn comb) and like i said if a flow is on, they will fill them with honey because they won't have brood to feed for almost two months, (from queen cell to time new brood will hatch) If all goes well you can soon have more hives than you want with this method, and answering swarm calls. Just the way i do things and have fun with the girls. Jack
    PS, i done this for new beekeepers, if you have questions ask away, other members will help out also.

2. jmblakeney

jmblakeney New Member

Very informative post. Thanks

3. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

Great information there Jack! :thumbsup: