If I get a swarm ... No Brood, No Honey , No Comb made up how long before ?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Jim Fishguts, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Jim Fishguts

Jim Fishguts New Member

I can get a swarm from a guy for a reasonable amount ($50) but am wondering without brewd and honey stores ( I planned on feeding them with 50/50 sugar water) how long before they start gaining in numbers. I have a nice new hive to put them into ? They will have to draw out the comb then the queen can lay eggs in it.

Interested in the buzzzzzz about this.

Thanks Jim In Western Washintgon State where the high temp hasen't been in the 90s yet.

2. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

A Different Country

In the UK at this time of the season it is not easy to start with a swarm. There is not time for a new queen to get mated, start to lay and build up the colony numbers to survive through the winter. A newbee may be willing to buy a swarm but perhaps has to count the money as part of pay-out to learn about bees.

I am sure you will get a lot of US input in response to your post.

Welcome to the forum.. Good Luck. :hi:

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hey Jim:

The swarm you get should have a mature laying queen. Their biggest obstacle will be to draw out new comb so feed, feed, feed! If you can find another beekeeper willing to sell you a few frames of comb it will give this swarm a tremendous boost. Swarms are famous for their ability to draw out new comb but given the time of year they will need some help. $50 seems like a fair price to me.
    Give it a go! :thumbsup:

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

worker brood requires just a bit more than three weeks to go from egg to adult.... 2 or 3 brood cycles are required for a hive to grow much. at this late date in the season you would want to keep the hive in as small a box as possible and move to a larger box only when their number crowd their 'former' residence. with some planning in most places even small population of bees can be maintained thru the winter months.

I would assume the wester part of Washington is fairly dry with the winters being very cold???? extreme cold and small population of bees generally is a difficult combination and more so for most new bee keepers.

5. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

I captured a swarm in late May. I put it in a top bar hive and have been able to watch their progress closely since it is on a stand and has a screen bottom. THey started drawing comb immediately and had two baseball size pieces in the first day. the queen layed eggs in maybe half of those cells or more after another 24 to 48 hours. The bees continued to build comb but because the comb got larger it seems more bees where getting in to the job. After about 2 weeks the comb had expended to where the bees could not quite keep it all covered and they pretty much stopped expanding it. I then inspected teh comb and every frame had a mixture of brood from eggs to caped brood. Now after 6-7 weeks much of that brood has emerged and the colony is just starting to increase in size. not even real noticeable yet but they are starting to increase the size of the comb again. Thay have not been able to crowed 9 frames in the TBH yet.

6. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

Welcome Jim! I am curious why you would pay someone to do them a favor. So you pay him or he pays an exterminator several hundred. The exterminator leaves the site intact so he gets a return investment. I will let you paint my house if you pay your expenses and take the wife and I out to dinner.

7. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

What ABK said. Are you paying him or is he paying you?

8. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

I think he is getting a swarm from a beek is how I read it, but I think tec is right and your going to have real trouble getting them through the winter starting this late, if you can buy 4 or 5 frames of pulled comb and feed them non stop you might make it.

9. Jim Fishguts

Jim Fishguts New Member

The Swarm deal fell through.... Too Far away and not enough bees. Going to try to get a second nuc from the guy I bought the first one from. Not so far away but more money to buy. Hive number one has a lot of capped syrup. O well should be able to make it through this winter cause i will probably feed this winter too. But I'm gona let them bring in some honey till the rains start.