If I had it to do over again for new keeps

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by riverrat, Apr 4, 2012.

1. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I wanted to start a thread for older keeps to share with the newkeeps what they would have done different starting out given the chance to start over. I will join in as we get rolling on this one.:thumbsup:

2. dr.buzz

dr.buzz New Member

I would have bought fewer bees to start with and done splits to increase the number of colonies. And I would have started with home made TBH sooner and saved a ton of money on factory woodenware.

3. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Being a newbie.. I would have did this sooner...lol

4. Omie

Omie New Member

I would have started and stayed with 8 frame equipment. The 10 frame boxes are a real load for me to pick up when they are full...and it's a hassle to temporarily remove 2 or 3 frames and put them to the side first whenever I want to move a box.

5. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I'm with Medic. I would have started sooner. Also, I would have done it with 10 frame equipment instead of the 8's. Consider me a honey bee and honey bee equipment hoarder.

6. kebee

kebee Active Member

No bees yet but I am starting with 8 fram boxes, I problity will not be able ever to lift them. Hope not to make a mistake puting them in the box when I do get them. And I would have straded a lot sooner like 10 or more years ago.

kebee

7. jim314

jim314 New Member

I would have started earlier also. I had thought about it off and on for several years, but when I turned the age I am, I figured if I don't do it, I won't be able too :smile: I've got ten frame equipment that so far has not caused a problem. But I did start an 8 frame hive this year to see how it does.

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Like most here, I would have started earlier, much earlier. (I was almost 40 when I started).
    I would also liked to have had a dedicated property (acreage) to put a honeyhouse on, but family responsibilities come first. :mrgreen:

9. bamabww

bamabww New Member

I would have located my hives in the most sunlight possible instead of putting both in the shade. SHB number has declined dramatically since move to sunlight.

10. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

I was only able to work my bees at week-ends when I started. I bought a shed and made it into a bee house. It was a waste of time and money.

We learn by our mistakes (hopefully?).

11. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

oh boy... the mistakes I have made and sometimes repeated could make for a long book and thus the handle of god's most forgiven beekeeper.

if I could start over again I would 1) consider either using 8 frame equipment (somewhat difficult to locate a decade ago) or all mediums and 2) likely buy more factory made boxes than the homemade stuff I cobbled together.

advice I have given to others in bee school in regards to growing beyond the hobby level are 1) limit growth in numbers to your own learning curve 2) once you have expanded beyond you own homesite apiary find and discover out yards that display advantages to the bees (here the list of essential requirements begins with 'a good source water available all year long'.... compose you own essential list at your location).

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  12. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

I too would have started earlier (45 & holding) and tried a little harder to find a mentor from the onset. :thumbsup:

13. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

i would have put the bear fence in place FIRST before the bees.......:doh:

like others, would have started earlier in my life.

i have always used 9 frame double deeps, the older i get, the heavier they get, but i am too stubborn and cheap to change to mediums for deeps.

great thread riverrat!

14. wesben

wesben New Member

I think I would have waited much longer before getting married and gotten a dgree in forestry. Oh were we talking just bees. Then I wish I had bought an established hive instead of starting from package.

15. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:shock: :lol: :rolling::rotfl:

16. rast

rast New Member

HMMM, maybe should ask wesben's wife what she would have done different:evil:.
    I would have went with the hive size I use today on all. 8 frame, 7 5/8's.

17. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

[​IMG] Originally Posted by wesben [​IMG]
    I think I would have waited much longer before getting married and gotten a dgree in forestry. Oh were we talking just bees.

i am too tired to figure out how to do the double quote thingy like perry did,

but i am with perry and rast, and you are a funny guy there wesben....

18. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I would have started with all mediums, to avoid any issues of interchangeability.

I also, on a few occasions, would have asked for advice here before barging off and doing something stupid. Oh yeah. Done that. (Keep your mouth shut, iddee!)

19. Iddee

Iddee New Member

:wink: :smile:

20. Zulu

Zulu Member

Seniors get no respect around here :grin::cool: