If you could change one thing?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by PerryBee, Feb 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Sitting by myself thinking and a question popped into my head that I thought might be interesting to get others answers to.
    If you were given magical power (yes, I think like that sometimes!) :p and you could change ONE thing about beekeeping, the industry, the hobby, whatever, what would you do?

Would it be stopping the introduction of Varroa?
    Would it be stopping the introduction of Africanized Honey Bees? (probably southern keeps who have a handle on mites might see this as more imporatnt).
    Would it be some form of trade barrier?
    Would it be some form of ban on imporatation, or the movement of honeybees?
    Would it be the easy access to Government labs for diagnosis of honeybee ailments? Additional Government funding into honeybee health?
    Would it be some type of improvement in the construction of the way we house our bees?
    Would it be some improved way of mechanically extracting honey?
    Would it be a smoker fuel that never goes out when you need it most?

You get the idea I think. Don't limit yourself to those suggestions listed above.
    It doesn't necessarily have to be anything grand, it might be something as simple as a better designed hive tool (something mentioned on another thread). Maybe this is a two answer question, what would benefit you in your attempt to keep bees, and what do you feel would benefit beekeeping as a whole?

And please, keep it civil, telling everyone that having Iddee wear a shirt when he works with bees is not an option! Desireable, maybe, but please don't waste your magic on something that just won't happen!

2. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

I vote for stingless bees :chased: :thumbsup:

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Go back to the days before mites, shb and all the diseases that have come our way. Like when you were young and barefooted in the yard, and had watch where you stepped or you would step on a bee. You don't have to worry about that now, unless you or your neighbors have bees. :( Jack

4. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I'd vote for equipment (particulary supers and frames) that don't wear out. Maybe some kind of glue that really permanently connects joints and keeps the wood from rotting in bad weather. Particularly bothering are the wear-away points in the bottom and top corners that eventually become unintended acces points for robber bees, wax moths (and SHBs). :cool:

5. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I would like to see the American honey production to be viable enough to supply the US needs for honey. Eliminating the need to import honey from china

6. Omie

Omie New Member

I'd like to see way stricter, more objective and thorough testing and restrictions on agricultural use of pesticides, chemicals, and genetically modified crops.

If I couldn't get that, then my second choice would be to eliminate all laws prohibiting people from being able to keep bees. :Dancing:

7. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

2 things really. The first would be what RiverRat said...
    The second would be a way to keep bees fed throughout winter without the worry of starvation "Did I leave enough honey on the hives?"

8. rast

rast New Member

I'd go with Jack's and I think that would take care of Rats wish also.

9. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I think it would be neat to be able to talk to the bees. I wonder what they must think sometimes. Then again, they could tell you if they had mites or if they needed food, etc.

10. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

Allow bee genetics in that have adapted behaviors against the threats we face the last 90 years!

11. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Excellent thought! :thumbsup:
    What a concept! :thumbsup:

I think by observation we can usually figure out what bees may require, but wouldn't it be neat to actually ask?

12. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Many a time i know exactly what is on their mind. :shock: Jack

13. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I know that would have made it easier on you when you came to visit last year :lol: :lol:

14. Marbees

Marbees Member

So I was right suspecting that Jack and Iddee, can talk to them. ;) ;)

15. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I don't know about me talking to them, but, man, can they ever talk to me! And I understand perfectly. :eek: :chased:

16. Marbees

Marbees Member

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
    Takes years, but I'm getting there :p

17. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I'll second these two!

18. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

i wouldn't change a thing... life is often measured by the obstacles faced in life... same with the bees, since all these changes certainly have made keeping bees extremely interesting.

since I already talk to the bees and they try real hard to speak to me in simply enough terms for me to understand that is not so much anything new.

19. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Which "prohibiting" laws are you refering to? You want to restrict certain behavior and loosen other behavior?

I'm w/ tecumseh. Change happens every day w/out wishing for it. Deal w/ it as best you can. Wishing won't make things better. Doing will. Keep your bees. Keep YOUR bees. Control and change those things you have the ability to. Your own bees.

20. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

and I am with Mark... very nicely stated by the way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.