If you won 50 million dollars....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BjornBee, Nov 6, 2009.

1. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

So what would you do? Where would you live, and what dreams would you fill?

Don't say it would not change you. It most certainly would.

So other than taking a trip to meet me, which most certainly would be on anyone's list of top things to do, what are the other things..... :thumbsup:

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Can you buy back youth. If not, I guess it wouldn't help me much.

From what I've read, it usually hurts more people than it helps.

3. LilWilli

LilWilli New Member

I'd buy a square mile of half-wooded land, a nice cedar log two -storey, a vehicle that is dependable to a T, a small herd of American mustangs just to save them, put in a 5 acre peach orchard, and we'd travel. Also , I would set my kids up similarly.
    Rick :thumbsup:

4. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I think what contributes a lot to the hurting is the subsequent unavoidable publicity. And human beings' general greedy nature.

I like to think I've never put much stock in "money." If I could maintain that noble attitude, I think I would finish the sailboat project in the back yard, shuck it all, and cruise the Caribbean until I missed terra firma. I would try to hoard most of it to be used to help out friends and family in need. I would do my best to "disappear" from the media.

And no doubt I would find that $50 million doesn't go very far these days.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Magical Obama would instantly turn it into 20 to begin with. Then you would have hundreds of "friends and family" coming out of the woodwork for a handout.

6. LilWilli

LilWilli New Member

Obama lama ding dong would allow thirty, if he got a bit of it under the table, Idee. He can bo monetarily reasonable---I guess.... :roll:

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

UH-OH. I think I took a wrong turn there. Guess we better get back on track.

8. LilWilli

LilWilli New Member

You are right. It was too easy to "slide" off the road on that one. I stick with my original plan of action, including untold numbers of hives of course.
    Rick

9. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

I think I would procure a few hundred acres of land with nice pond/ lake, plant it in fruit trees, and have a several acre garden raising enough veggies for me my family and everybody else in the neighborhood also have few dozen hives nothing too big. and my own revived herpetarium. :drinks: :thumbsup: :Dancing:

10. G3farms

G3farms New Member

As long as the 50 was after taxes I think I could make out. :lol:

As far as changing me personally, yes it would, I would try to drop off of the map even more (be a nobody and more reclusive).
    Buy a large tract of land, say around 1,000 acres mostly wooded with say 200 acres in pasture and hay fields, large fishing pond at least 5 acres, build a nice comfortable house (nothing extravagant) and large metal and wood working shop. New cab tractor or three and plenty of implements. Nice big roomy barn and an indoor cattle handling facility. Might even get a new set of tires for my old truck.

Build a house for each of my kids when the time came and and help them out. Help out family and only have a couple of friends so that weeds a bunch of people out real quick.

Would do some things just for spite, when you have money you get to do that.

Not much of a traveler myself, too much to see in the back yard.

G3

11. Walt B

Walt B New Member

G3,

Reminds me of a guy buying a lottery ticket who was in front of me at the wine store. The clerk asked what he would do if he won, and he resonded, "There's a lot of people that think I'm a pretty big ***. But, they don't know just how big an *** I can be if I've got some money behind me!" :)

Walt

12. G3farms

G3farms New Member

That is my kind of guy right there. :thumbsup:

G3

13. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Walt,
    I had no idea that was you...... :wave:

14. rast

rast New Member

What I think I would do is first go north and look for a place to buy up there. There must be something to this snowbird thing as I've seen em all my life. I would certainly retire from my day job. Probably buy a new motorhome for that trip north just to get one of the newer wider track ones, less sway. Hire someone to remodel what I would like to do to my house here. My wife would have far less trouble spending it I would.

15. Charles

Charles New Member

That's a tough one, well after getting the kids college dough socked away I think I would:

Move back to the coast buy an island with an old lighthouse and have it remodeled for my wife (she loves them) get a nice fishing boat and a helicopter (for those trips into town)

Go to all the Monday night football games and watch from my press box.

Give Dewalt just enough money to put my name on Matt Kenseth's car.

Put me a nice little place on a mountain near Las Vegas, so I can spend some quality time there :drinks:

Send G3 some dough so he'd send me some high quality beef then fly him out to work on my tractor :beg:

oh wait did you say 50 million or 500 million :confused:

16. XLB

XLB New Member

17. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

50 million huh... not much by todays standards. as these thing go, I usually figure easy come easy go.

most of the reviews of folks lives that have won the lottery suggest the majority are in worse shape a few years after they won the lottery than they ever were before they won the prize. there are of course always exceptions.

some folks here seem to want to pass it on to the kids.... likely the worst idea on the planet. so you want the money to ruin not only your own life, but your children's life also?

the last time I had someone suggest that they hoped I had the good luck to win the lottery, I told them I didn't know what came into their heart to want to damn me in that way. I then reminded them of the biblical phase in regards to the rich man, the camel and the eye of the needle. the poor fellow (who suddenly wakes up one morning thinking he is a rich man) who does think he is headed for the pearly gates, likely also deceives himself into thinking he can go to vegas and beat the house. quite obviously delusional in regards to both.

I think I would likely look about for two or three good charities and give the money away to say the aclu and habitat. that way no matter what happened I would have accumulated enought tax credits to never pay taxes again. then I could feel exactly like the rich folks then.

18. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Well, let's see. You have to put things in their proper order.
    1. Pay the taxes on this new wealth.
    2. Long awaited trip to Ireland.
    3. Buy some land to put myself on.
    4. Maybe buy some land in Ireland.
    5. Set up college funds for all the kids in the family.

19. rast

rast New Member

If I went very far south of where I live now, I'd have learn spanish.

20. XLB

XLB New Member

sorry about the misunderstanding, :oops: i meant below the Mason Dixon line, not all the way to cuba. :thumbsup: