If You're new to the forum say hi and tell us about yourself

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by riverrat, Jan 27, 2011.

1. riverrat

riverrat New Member

The Rat is always trying to get people involved and posting. This one here is aimed at new members that just registered or has registered in the last few months but hasnt posted on the forum, ( I know we have a area for introductions but not much traffic there.) When you register stop in here and let us know a little about you and your interest in bees. After all you just found the best , friendliest and one of the most knowledgeable bee forums on the net. So don't be afraid to post and become active now fire away.

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Re: if your new to the forum say hi and tell us a bit about

HI! My name is G3 and I am addicted to bees and there is no hope for me.

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

lets all make g3 feel welcome give him a round of applause for comming forth with his addiction :clap:

4. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

Hi, I am Charla from Lowry City, Missouri. The Rat called me out of lurking a month or so ago and now I am actually posting on a daily basis.

Running 8 or so hives right now. Went into winter with 11 expect to end winter with 5. The lost ones and remaining ones were very weak in fall and should have been combined but I have a problem with killing queens still. I know. I know... take your losses in the fall. Couldn't bring myself to do it. Figure they would died as combines anyway so letting nature take its course.

This will be my 4th spring keeping bees and my first mentoring others. Some really cute 4h kids. (One belongs to me. That's how I got recruited) Hopefully I know enough to find the answers when I don't know them.

Personal stats. 31 yr old female in a wonderful relationship with the daddy of my mini me's who are 12 and 10. We live on a 21 acre mostly timber plot. Currently have bees, dog, and feral cats. Planning on a pig in the next year or so.

5. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Welcome Charmd2. I must admit I look forward to reading your posts. Another fine example of the type of keeps we have here. When people join in and participate and make the forum a part of there daily lives. It makes the forum better for us all. So let us know your out there. :goodpost:

6. Candyman

Candyman New Member

Hello. I'm a newbie in all of this. This is my 1st post to this forum and I'm an information sponge. I ordered 3 books - Beekeeping for Dummies, The updated Backyard Beekeeper and the Storey's Guide to Keeping Honey Bees.

I plan on joining the local beekeepers association as well as a new group - the Backyard Beekeepers Association. I also plan on attending their free beginners beekeeping workshop in March as well as maybe paying for another beekeeping workshop by Bjorn Apiaries.

I've been fascinated with honeybees for about 1 yr or so. I've been reading as much as I can on the web..etc. To start out though, I'm more into the colony aspects and how they function with the byproducts of honey and wax...etc being secondary. My background is environmental although my job is not - but it's still in the area of numbers and analysis. I've always loved nature and I'm an advocate for wildlife that is being endangered. I'm participating in helping with the bluebird comeback. Last year I was tickled to death having 3 broods of bluebirds after having years of nothing. So I'm enthusiastic about helping honey bees in the same manner - building houses (hives) and taking care of them and watching their populations grow. I would prefer to have more land so that there is room to grow as well as having enough backyard space for my two daughters to play. This idea of beekeeping has my wife worried about that and ideas of 1000s of bees just hovering near our back porch. Too many SciFi movies - I think.

So any areas on this forum that I should read 1st?

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Welcome aboard, a friendlier place would bee hard to find. :mrgreen:
    Read them all (threads), what else is there to do with this weather?
    Joining an association doesn't hurt and as always, don't bee afraid to ask questions.

Perry

8. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

Candyman I can't imagine you would be disapointed in one of Bjorns workshops. I have heard they are well worth attending.

My hubby was also paranoid about 1000's of stinging bugs. But he didn't even notice them for a month after I installed my first package into the "empty" box I had out back. seriously, he only noticed I finally had added bees because he went to move what he thought was an empty hive. Came in the house and asked when I had done that.

At one point last summer I had 15 nucs/hives and unless you were in line of flight you never would have noticed them.

9. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Welcome to the forum Charmed2 and Candyman. There is a lot of knowledgable folks on this site, don't be shy with your questions.

Candyman If you are going to put together or build your own wooden wares that is a good place to start, something to do while you are waiting on warmer weather.

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

hi I'm tecumseh. I carry a long coup stick and am old as dirt (I am however not as old as Jack and Iddee).

ps.. if the good lord so desires and gives me one more year amongst the bee I will have earned my 50 year pin.

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Hello, I'm....hold on, gotta check my name tag....Iddee. Young whippersnapper Tec is only about 107. He just can't keep up with us older dogs.

I welcome, everyone.

12. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Howdy folks,Bsweet here or Jim if you want. The wife and I call our two hives (we hope for more)Bsweet Apiaries so thus the screen name.Comeing up on 3 yrs keeping the ladies and loveing it.Not brand new here but still new, learning alot on this site and even posting once in a while. for the old timers here keep up the good work, for the real newbees read the old post and ask questions. Bsweet

13. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Re: If You're new to the forum say hi and tell us about your

Im Riverrat AKA Da Rat. the guilty one who started this thread. I want to say welcome to all and hope to see more posts from all. My wife and I run hoover and sons apiaries we have had up to 70 hives and right now are at about 50 and intend on staying at that number for awhile. I am the resident redneck and dont believe in punctuation although I will use it at times to prove to Iddee I didnt skip school every day just every other day. :thumbsup:

14. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Hi, i'm Jack, I'm not so sure that i'm older than tec.,i bought bees from Sears & Roebuck when i was a young kid and tec. had a job at Sears & Roebuck in shipping and probably shipped the bees to me, back in the sixties. :confused: I'm not much on punctuation either.When i was in school i set and looked out the window and wondered if i'd caught a rabbit, possum,coon or muskrat in my traps today.I thought you had to put those punctuation marks between the letters to keep them from sticking together. :mrgreen: Jack

15. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Jack writes:
    bought bees from Sears & Roebuck when i was a young kid and tec. had a job at Sears & Roebuck in shipping

tecumseh:
    well actually I have never worked for Sears and Roebuck. however a long time ago (oh say 35+ years ago) I worked for a commercial bee keeper that had the contract to provide the packages for Sears and Roebuck. so if you did obtain a package of bees via the Sears and Roebuck Farm Catalogue in those days there is a good chance I was one of the folks that shook the package and stapled the queen cage to the package's lid.

16. rast

rast New Member

Howdy all. I'm not exactly new to the forum and I'm not older than dirt either. I've been around bees all my life, matter of fact there used to be a commercial beek with a honey house about 1/4 mile from where I live. Iddee hauled bees for him back in the 40's or 50's :D. When he pulled out I had to start keeping my own hives. Looks like I am coming out of winter with about 30 hives and wondering how many more I can handle if I increase this year ( I still have a day job).

17. milapostol

milapostol New Member

Hi, I'm Mil, and I live in Northern California. We started beekeeping in 2008 with a given hive and now have 4. The other three were swarms that we collected.

We took classes from Serge Labesque and have been following his methods: follower boards, ventilation boards, hive top feeder (to catch the water!).

I really enjoy this forum--people seem to have fun and get to know each other here. I know the computer makes everything a little bit dry, but I am not a serious person! I like to laugh, joke, and ask silly questions, so that's why I always look forward to coming here!

I usually use punctuation, so please don't hold that against me... :wave:

18. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I see a few new names so I thought I would give this a bump. :mrgreen:
    I'm Perry, been lurking for a while and got more active here a couple months ago!
    Seems cosier here! :drinks:

19. riverrat

riverrat New Member

We are starting to see more and more people post our daily numbers have been climbing for visits which is a good thing. Perry you are right there are new names showing up in the posts and thats what we are looking for and hope it continues. Im the rat of the forum got a habit of fun and scenarios I hope people learn from them, Again Welcome all to the biggest little bee forum on the WWW.

20. hippomir

hippomir New Member

Hi- I live in the NW of Canada and just started my hive last year. I took the Beekeeping course and my hive wintered well. I just went to the "Rehive the Hive" class this past weekend and now this week we are supposed to feed the hive a pollen patty as well as syrup. But it looks like too much rain and then its going to be really cold. So I will leave them alone. Wednesday is the local Beekeeper's Club and I will go and meet my fellow beekeepers from the area. I really enjoy this site and love the international flavor. :yahoo: