Illinois illegally seizes Bees Resistant to Monsanto’s Roundup

Discussion in 'Bee News' started by afterburn001, May 29, 2013.

1. afterburn001

afterburn001 New Member

http://www.globalresearch.ca/illino...santos-roundup-kills-remaining-queens/5336210

Sickening!

The Illinois Ag Dept. illegally seized privately owned bees from renowned naturalist, Terrence Ingram, without providing him with a search warrant and before the court hearing on the matter, reports Prairie Advocate News.

Behind the obvious violations of his Constitutional rights is Monsanto. Ingram was researching Roundup’s effects on bees, which he’s raised for 58 years. “They ruined 15 years of my research,†he told Prairie Advocate, by stealing most of his stock.

A certified letter from the Ag Dept.’s Apiary Inspection Supervisor, Steven D. Chard, stated:

“During a routine inspection of your honeybee colonies by … Inspectors Susan Kivikko and Eleanor Balson on October 23, 2011, the bacterial disease ‘American Foulbrood’ was detected in a number of colonies located behind your house…. Presence of the disease in some of your colonies was confirmed via test results from the USDA Bee Research Laboratory in Beltsville, Maryland that analyzed samples collected from your apiary….â€

Ingram can prove his bees did not have foulbrood, and planned to do so at a hearing set in April, but the state seized his bees at the end of March. They have not returned them and no one at the Ag Dept. seems to know where his bees are.

The bees could have been destroyed, or they could have been turned over to Monsanto to ascertain why some of his bees are resistant to Roundup. Without the bees as evidence, Ingram simply cannot defend against the phony charges of foulbrood.

Worse, all his queens died after Kivikko and Balson “inspected†his property, outside of his presence and without a warrant.

Of note, Illinois beekeepers are going underground after Ingram’s experience and refuse to register their hives, in case the state tries to steal their private property on phony claims.

2. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

3. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Talk about sensationalist reporting and unsubstantiated claims! I was sad for the old fellow if you watch the video, but there is a good reason for legislation and methods to control contagious disease.

4. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

I agree with you Crofter, there are good reasons for the legislation that is in place to prevent the spread of infectious diseases, but if you read further into that story, you'll find out that the "state bee inspector" (quotes intended) is totally unqualified to hold that position, and the seizure of the hives was totally illegal.

5. Crofter

Crofter New Member

I dug into it a bit further a year or so ago nearer the time it happened. My take from some other sources suggested he refused to act and that the action taken was within the legal bounds due to his previous refusal to act. There are other animal and human diseases where you are allowed no time to dither and no multiple requests. You can file suit for damages and collect later if action was not legally justified. I think the inspector did not act without legal advice

It is a sad tale as related here but I felt it did not give any weight to public endangerment or regards for others rights; the potential effects did not end at the property lines.

6. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Sorry Crofter, didn't mean for it to sound like you hadn't checked out the story. I clicked on several different links in these stories, and may have read it differently.

7. Crofter

Crofter New Member

I don't think it is good to get into an argument with a gunsmith!:lol: It has been a while since I chased down some of the links to the inspectors justification and undoubtably influenced by my gut feeling that the video was full of emotional tear jerking tags rather than balanced. Some of his statements put up red flags for me. I have seen a lot of bad done in the name of personal freedom.: abuse of power is alive and well too of course so it need to be a case by case look on events.

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

At one time, Illinois tested applicants on their beekeeping skills. They quit doing that. He considers all that were not tested to be non-qualified. The inspector had 12 years experience beekeeping. She may not have needed testing. As Crofter said, the whole article is totally weighted toward Terrence. No word from the other side at all.

9. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

In these emotional times, I take a lot of things with a grain of salt. I read this over on the other site last year and there was quite a bit of dissection of what went on. There wasn't talk of 15 years work and roundup immunity a year ago, just a claim of illegally seized bees. The new article has been plumped up but I question whether with any facts, or just a lot of hot air.

10. bamabww

bamabww New Member

Hard for me to know which side to fall on but I tend to lean toward the inspector for some reason.

11. camero7

camero7 Member

If you kept bees close to him you'd be applauding the action of the bee inspector!

12. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

like Crofter (I think???) when I see too much emotionally charged rhetoric in an article I typically suspect there is little substance behind the claims. I would guess if you asked the fellow to see the documentation of his so called experiment you would likely just get a blank stare and little else. Sadly I have seen this kind of behavior in the bee world before... typically some 'authority' tosses out some theory, then tries to sell it as fact and then accuses you of being argumentative or pissing in their boot when you ask for the documentation of their 'experiment'.