I'm asking before doing!

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Hobie, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Hobie

Hobie New Member

If it EVER stops raining (sorry, Texans) and I can look at my hive again, I want to have a plan.

I saw no brood last look, but I am going to be optimistic and say it was still cold and next time I will see signs of a good queen.

This hive has one deep on the bottom, and 3 shallows on top of that. The plan was to let some of the shallows be brood comb. At last look, most of the bees were in the first (lowest) and 2nd shallow. I suspect that if I find brood it will be there. Top shallow has only partially drawn comb.

I'm thinking I should remove the top shallow. Assuming the brood is in the other 2 shallows, should I move them to the bottom of the stack? Or will they move down into the deep on their own?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I would remove all that is feasible to do so. They need to be confined as much as possible until the new brood begin emerging. If the bottom deep is empty, remove it until they have the shallows near full. Then add it back on the bottom. They will move down.

3. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

They will move down?

Isn't their natural inclination this time of year to move up?

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

No, their inclination is to brood just under the honey. During the flow, they move down and honey is stored above. During a dearth, the honey is consumed and they move up.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Hobie writes:
    If it EVER stops raining (sorry, Texans)

tecumseh:
    oh go ahead and rub it in Hobie.

6. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Thanks, iddee. Good info there.

7. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Well, it stopped raining.
    Now it's SNOWING. Argh!

8. Omie

Omie New Member

D'OH!! :shock:
    Poor Hobie!

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I would take some snow for the water content. tecumseh is most definitely desperate.

10. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Sorry spring is delayed for ya Hobie! I'll try praying some rain your way Tec.

11. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

But during the flow they'll have brood packed in below the honey so new honey goes to the top of the stack for lack of places to put it in the brood nest when the queen is in full production mode... right? or am I missing something (like I usually do)?

12. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

If they run out of brood room below the capped honey, you know what comes next right? Sometimes it's better to put your empty honey super under your full one but above the brood. Maybe it fools em into thinking they have more brood room?

13. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Ben's writes:
    But during the flow they'll have brood packed in below the honey so new honey goes to the top of the stack for lack of places to put it in the brood nest when the queen is in full production mode... right? or am I missing something (like I usually do)?

tecumseh:
    there seems to be seasonal variation in where a hive packs in the nectar and a hives configuration (ie where entrances or cracks may be situation in the stack) can influence where the nectar is stowed.

14. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Ben, You've got me stumped with this one. You said exactly the same thing I did. The honey is put above and around the brood.