I'm dying to show off, the mess I've made

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Baxter, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Baxter

Baxter New Member

I've posted a pic of my mess, for all to admire

If you will observe, the outer cover, extends up above the inner cover, leaving a gap of about 1/2", I inserted blocks of wood at all 4 corners, earlier this year, to ventilate the hive, the bees bearded this hive for most of the season.

Well, they decided to build comb and honey, the only place they could, from the outer cover, I guess that's because I failed to add another super when I should have, the outer cover is welded open with comb.

What to do:

1st plan
    I plan on leaving the inner cover in place, adding another empty super on top, cutting the honey comb out and cleaning up the outer cover, then put the comb and honey in a container, and setting it inside the empty super, then wait for the bees to consume the honey.

2nd plan
    add one super with frames and foundation, place the inner cover on top of it, add another empty super, place the comb and honey in a container, inside the empty super, then top it off with the outer cover, and wait for the bees to consume the honey.

Given that I don't have the best track record so far, I'm open to suggestions, as to what I really need to do.

[​IMG]

2. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

I personally would remove the full super if not done already, place the empty super under the inner cover in the usual way, and for future reference if you think additional ventilation is needed get a couple of old pencils and place them under the lower edge of the last super to provide (1) a gap alond the entire width of super for ventilation, (2) a upper entrance so bees won't be forced to all come through the brood chamber first--there by relieving congestion there and avoiding one of the swarming triggers. Now the bees will propolize all along the edge of the supers where the gap isn't high enough for them to exit so be prepared to do some scrapping when you remove the pencils.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

barry writes:
    if you think additional ventilation is needed get a couple of old pencils and place them under the lower edge

tecumseh:
    don't make me come over there and sue you for stealing my "tecumseh's stick" idea :lol:

plan one and two both sounds extremely hazardous to the bees. anything that destroys the comb will almost invariable attract ants and robbers. I would likely harvest the stuff (I assume inside that very nice cover) and consume it myself. If I need to add feed later... well sugar is significantly cheaper than honey.

your larger idea Baxter wasn't really all that bad. I have an old professor here who use to keep bees long ago down on the southern Arizona border and by his description they used a similar idea there which he called 'breeze boards' to keep hives from over heating in their long hot summers. of course the devil is always in the detail.

4. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

lol sorry tecumseh, didn't mean to take your almost patent pending product lol. another thing I did was to slightly ofset the supers again to create a upper entrance for foragers, and provide ventilation and nectar curing

5. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I use popsickle sticks or wood match sticks under the inner cover or lid for ventilation. Wouldn't pencils give to much of a gap to encourage robbing? Just asking. Jack

6. Baxter

Baxter New Member

Barry, I'm sure I don't understand you... I apologize for my ignorance in this, If I remove the full super, what are the bees going to live off of this winter. Did you mean that I should sandwich the new super between the brood supers and the full super?

I see now why proping open a gap between supers would have been a smarter move.

7. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

ahh then your fall honey flow is over then that being the case place new on top, but before placing it there grab a frame or two of capped honey and exchange it for two empty frames, to entice the bees up into it--assuming that you still have a bit of warm weather left. As for robbing, a strong colony will have no issues defending those extra entrances, the execption being if your getting colder weather like into the low 40's then honeybees will remain in the warmeer lower brood chambers, to keep warm, but then you would not need the extra ventilation either.

8. Baxter

Baxter New Member

Yeah, it's getting cooler here now, into 40's, no longer need any ventilation. I removed the blocks, propping the outer cover up, because it is cooler, that's when I discovered they had welded the outer cover up with comb.

I appreciate your advice, this was a lesson well learned.

9. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Tec's advice sounds best to me, with one reservation---since you still have that full super below the roof, even after you take the honey for yourself, there shouldn't be any need for feeding. I try to avoid feeding with sugar-syrup as much as possible.