I'm Finally a Beekeeper...

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Medic1259, May 3, 2012.

1. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

WOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!! ... I got my Bee's.... Ok so here is the story:

At 4:30pm tonight I went to pick up my Nuc. I was told to bring my hive so I would not have to leave a deposit for the Nuc Box... So I packed my wifes minivan with a Deep , bottom board , inner cover , outer cover & Jacket and off I went...Then I realized I forgot my tiedown straps in my car... Quick stop at Lowes and got another set. I was excited like a kid on Christmas.. Had to drive about 40 min..Thank GOD for GPS ... I still blew past it.

So I pull in to the drivway and told to follow The Golf cart.. I pull up to about 20 nucs and 10 hives... Sally of Bee Hive Barn said that the first one is mine. and i should get my hive. as I get the hive she puts on her jacket and lights her smoker. She asked if I wanted to look for the queen and move the frames to my hive or wanted her to do it for me.. I said Nope I'll do it...

So I put on my Jacket and headed over.. She smoked the Nuc and handed me a hive tool. I got the cover right off. Then she told me to Remove the frames and look for the queen. No gloves and I went for it .She told me that she was marked "Yellow"... It was on the first frame.. Found her right away...COOL ... Very Gentle bees.. 1 or 2 buzzed me a few times but that was it.

I put the rest of the frames in the Deep put the covers on and straped them together. We then Taped an entrence reducer over the entrence and loaded it back in the minivan. And I drive back to the office to pay. I also buy a Hive Moving bag.. but keep that in the front seat with me...lol

Ok so I get home with out any issues... set up the hive in my yard and put the feeder I figured it would only take a few seconds.. I a beekeeper now... No gloves before so no jacket and no smoke now... Before everyone thinks I got stung .. I didn't.. But I wound do that again.... This is why...

Once it's all set up I go in the house to make the 1:1 feed... while I am in the kitchen I start to hear som buzzzzzing... Yep I found out that Bees like to hitch rides on shirts... THANK GOD the wife was not home or I would be sleeping in the car.. So I cought her and let he go outside... I fill the feeder and re-cover everything. ... Go in the house and sit down to eat some dinner... As I am eating I go to scratch my side and feel something under my shirt.. BINGO,,, another Bee. I take my shirt off and it looks like She tried to sting me because it looks like she is dragging her venom sack behind her. Grabed her and let her go out side too...

So I got my Bees ... had two close call near stings and had fun... Not bad for a first day...

2. dr.buzz

dr.buzz New Member

Very cool, welcome to it.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

WHERE'S THE PICS??????????????????????????????????????????????????????

3 DEMERITS FOR NO PICS.

Good job. Now let them be for 3 or 4 days before disturbing them again. ""Longest time you ever spent since waiting for the kid after your wife went into labor""

After that, NEVER go into a hive without smoke. Even if you don't get stung, you will kill bees that sting your clothing.

4. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

I have only 3 pics.. 1 of the yard I picked the Nuc up from and the other set up in my yard and on of the bee in my shirt.. I couldnt figure out how to post....

I know I will just observe fro a far for the next few days...

I will never do it again like that.. I was not trying to be a super hero just wanted to get it done quick...

I do have one question .. I put the Hivetop feeder above the inner cover was that a mistake? ​

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

When using a hive top feeder, the inner cover goes in the garage.

6. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

The reason I did was because the Feeder is like 1/4 inch shorter the the Super.. The Wider lip on the inner cover I thought would just sit better.. Should I remove it , leave it for a for a few days?

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If taking it off would leave an entrance, then leave it on. Otherwise, take it off.

8. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

P5030061.jpg P5030065.jpg P5030071.jpg After getting the demerits I figured out how to upload the pics...lol The first is the Yard the open nuc is the one I moved to my hive.... Secone pic is of my hive in my back yard... and last is a blury pic of the bee that was in my shirt.....lol Thanks all for all the advice and help up to this point...

9. jim314

jim314 New Member

Cool Medic, welcome to the world of beekeeping :thumbsup:

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

OK. Demerits rescinded. Glad you got them. Now the fun begins. 35 years and it's still as exciting as day one for me.

11. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

Congratulations Medic1259!!!!! :thumbsup:

What's going to be cool is when you first start spotting some of *your* bees around the yard, that was *way cool* for me! It's like "keep up the good work girl!" ;)

Ed

12. markles

markles New Member

Cool. That hive better not be in the shade or Iddee's going to reinstate the demerits.:lol:

13. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

medic,
    enjoyed reading your first day, AND NOW YOU ARE A BEEKEEP!
    as iddee said, the fun begins!
    btw nevermind what iddee said about the demerits, camera's weren't invented when he started keeping bees and neither were garages to put inner covers in when using not yet invented hive-top feeders.....:grin:
    the only thing that matters is the wife sending you out to the car to sleep............:lol:

a great first day for you!
    ENJOY!

14. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Thanks all.. I cant wait to she the girls working .. I woke up today wanting to run out and open the hive ( Dont worry I wont..lol) . What stinks is I have been waiting months to get them and now I have them and I still have the high.. I figured It would go away but nope.. still excited... think even more ... I may if the weather is good on Sat pull up a chair and a book and sit near the hive just to watch whats going on...

I put 1 gal of 1:1 with Bee-Healthy in last night... How long should I wait to check the Hive top feeder.. (its on top of my inner cover, so I only need to take the top cover off)

15. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

Yay! Congrats on the new "children" - In our second year, still feel that excitement of wanting to mess with them, but I try to curb it to once a week unless we are monitoring a "situation". I do though visit everyday and say hello and sometimes sit there for an hour watching them go in and out....fascinating. I curb my exuberance to family too... I get so excited and like to tell them about all the details...I can get carried away!...so I photograph and write/blog about our excitement. Wish I did this 30 years ago!

16. Iddee

Iddee New Member

They shouldn't take more than a quart a day, so checking the feeder every 3 days should be sufficient. After a couple of checks you will see how much they are taking. It will depend a lot on how much nectar they are finding.

17. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

I just realized I have the Best mentor ever ( Members of this forum).. Thanks everone for the help and advice...

18. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Congratulations Medic, you have just joined the force! :thumbsup:
    Not that it makes a lot of difference but in that second photo I think that your reducer may be on upside down (that is, the small opening facing upward instead of down) If that is the case (not a big problem so don't worry) it makes it a little more difficult for housekeeping bees to drag stuff out and by chance should water ever get in your hive it runs out easier as well.
    If I am just seeing things and it is on there correctly, disregard everything I have said and chalk it up to my age! :lol:

19. bamabww

bamabww New Member

Congrats on your new bees and I enjoyed your story. You've come to a very friendly bee site. These guys and gals are lots of help to us newbees.

20. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

P.S. Medic - Following your participation here on the forum, I believe you have always been a beekeeper, you just didn't know it or happen to have bees at the time! :thumbsup: :wink: