I'm in love............!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PerryBee, Sep 13, 2013.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

............with the used Dadant 20 frame extractor I bought a few years ago, and finally put in to use the last two days. No more hand cranking for this fella! :yahoo:
    I load it, and while it runs I'm uncapping the next 20 and rest them in my uncapping tray. The timing seems to be perfect. Just as the extractor is done, I'm finished uncapping the next batch. I haven't hooked up the sump and pump yet. My harvest isn't huge this year because of the nucs and splits I've done. I have over 300 lbs so far and it's only taken me a few hours hours. No sore shoulder or elbow! :mrgreen:
    I seem to be averaging around 100 lbs an hour, but that is because a lot of the frames are not full.

Extractor 001.jpg Extractor 003.jpg

Now, back to work. More boxes to go through. In a week I pull the last boxes.

2. Crofter

Crofter New Member

They sure are a treat compared to the hand cranked tangent ones that you have to flip each frame several times.

3. blueblood

blueblood New Member

4. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Some day maybe a six or eight frame one here...that is nice though. Tom

5. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Looks very nice.

Are those top bar holders loose ? The holders on my 9 frame electric radial are fixed as part of the S/S cage.

Thank goodness for a variable speed control.

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

The holders or brackets are fixed. It holds 20 deeps (or mediums) and can also run with 32 or 34 mediums with frames placed in between (apparently this is common). I will just run 20 mediums (all I use for honey) as the uncapping time and extracting time compliment each other well.

7. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

I have to ask is it in the new honey house or in your basement? Looks good tho. Just wait till you get the sump and pump working no carrying honey in buckets and poring to strain. Warming the honey before pumping and straining. It is amassing how much faster honey strains when it is warm.

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

You seem to have me pegged pretty well Keith! :thumbsup: :lol:
    The extractor is set up in the basement because there is 800 feet of 7/8" pine drying out in the honey shack. :rolling: This winter's project. :wink:
    I gotta get organized. There was an opportunity to buy pine that was being milled for Tom C. a commercial keep just down the road from me so I piggy-backed on his order.
    Tom has been as fantastic help to me, very generous with his advice and also allows me to tag on to some of his large orders thereby greatly reducing my costs (MAQS for instance).

9. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

It is great to have a friend near by to assist when needed and in saving money.
    Why haven't we met him on the form yet? Are you working on it.

10. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Had a guy saying he was getting out of bee keeping and wanted to trade one like yours Perry, for a custom made 30-06 I had but he backed out of the deal. Tom

11. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

He lurks often. He seems to know when I post though! :wink:
    I will leave it up to him if he decides to surface. Without doubt he would be a big addition, I believe he is number 2 or 3 in Nova Scotia, if not the Maritimes. He is an incredibly busy guy.

Tom, it might be worth a call to see if that deal could still be had. No harm in trying.